Medved Trader Forums

Data feed question

Radoslav

Hi,

my broker is IBKR and I switched from TWS to MT + IBKR GW + L2 paid data. I have question about data feed. Sometimes data from IBKR are missing, or backfill is slow. I don't think this is PC Issue ( 4 core Xeon, 24GB ram , 900/300 mbit optic fiber internet connection). But I have read that MT can get data from different sources. For backfill I use Yahoo or Webull, but I can't find if their data are real time or delayed.

1. Which data feed do you suggest ?
  2. And if I change data feed from different provider,
    1. will be my orders filled with my IBKR broker ?
    2. do I still need to pay for IBKR L2 data ?

Thank You.

I currently use dxFeed for my L1 and L2 data in MT, it is absolutely amazing and I recommend it. Continue to use your broker of choice (IBKR) for trading, you won’t need their data and your orders go through them. The MT team has done a sensational job with the integrations, the challenges you face are on the IBKR side. I personally use dxFeed+[IBKR+Schwab+TradeStation].

I switched to dxFeed a few months ago and I agree, it's a great feed. I thought I was getting a tick feed from my broker but it was consolidated. On an active stock the ticks from dxFeed really stream in. At first the sheer speed of the scrolling was distracting like speed metal background music, but now I've gotten used to it and helps me get a better read on the trading. Their tick backfill is also good too. And MT integrates the feed very well.  Even on FOMC days MT easily keeps up with the bandwidth. MT allows you to trade your accounts across many brokers and use the feed you like the most. Even having different feeds for different portfolios. 

On 9/30/2024 at 6:59 PM, Radoslav said:

Which data to subscribe for  L2 stocks ? 

Is this enough?

Or something different, which is cheaper ? 

SmartSelect_20240930_185819_Vivaldi.jpg

No ; best is to combine "Consolidated US Equities Level 1 (NBBO)"  to have the complete lvl1 number of shares . And for lvl 2 subscribe to Totalview (from IBKR) which cost only 16,5 usd and if you want more add  Nyse arcabook (11usd)  , CBOE bzx (8usd)  . And of course add the fee waived services (as Small exhange l2 for free). Dont forget to sbscrive totalview EDS (1 usd)  to display the data on other platform outside tws.

I forgot NYSE Openbook for 25 usd at IBKR

With this combo you will have absolutely all shares visible in the market (no iceberg  data of course. For about 100usd in total if needed.

Usually most people use onlyTotal View  from nasdq for lvl2 quotes. BUT  the subscription for 49 usd dxfeed for theConsolidated US Equities Level 1 (NBBO) is a must if you want a complete vision of lvl1 shares . 

Edited by merlin8121