Medved Trader Forums

Question/Issue regarding Default Backfill source

timtrader

I noticed that when you change a charts default backfill source from a chart (Main tab, backfill drop-down), it also changes the default backfill source setting in the Dashboard.  Does that mean that this newly selected backfill source will only be used for the current chart and any newly added charts?  Also, will the already existing backfill source on already existing charts remain with their current different backfill source, even if a symbol is changed manually or changed because it is linked to a portfolio when you select a different symbol in the portfolio? 

The reason I'm asking is because I use both IQFeed and dxFeed.  I primarily use IQFeed for stock portfolios and stock charts.  I recently added dxFeed for option quotes and option chart backfills.  I noticed that if I have the default backfill source set to dxFeed and I drag an option from the dxFeed option chain window to a chart, it automatically backfills the chart (which is exactly what I want it to do.)  However, if I have the default backfill source set to IQFeed and I drag an option from the dxFeed option chain window to a chart, it does NOT automatically backfill the chart, even if that chart just had an option backfill using dxFeed (so, I then have to manually request the backfill using the "backfill using" option on that chart.)

I'm fine leaving dxFeed as the default intraday backfill source, provided the other existing IQFeed charts aren't going to be affected....just looking for clarification.

Thanks,
Tim

there is only one default backfill source for the entire program.  The option to change it on the chart is just a convenience. It is same as what you see on dashboard.

If you have default source set to specific site, such as dxfeed or iqfeed, that site will always be used except when you explicitly select "Backfill Using..."

What you may want to do is change to "Smart Source".  In that case, if you have a portfolio with IQFeed and option chain with dxfeed as source and you drag option from chain to chart, the symbol is already getting quotes on the chain, so MT will also backfill with that source.  Where as if you switch to a symbol getting data from IQFeed portfolio, it will backfill with IQFeed.  Only tossup is if up type in a symbol that is n neither.  MT will just choose 1 of them, unless you specify different smart source priority for one of the feeds.