Medved Trader Forums

Chart Indice XJO

remisha

Hello Jerry

ATM i can not chart either intraday or  daily the symbol XJO ( ASX S+P 200 Index ) . I usually just enter symbol e.g. XJO

and all symbol come up fine. I use Commsec Intraday set at 3min. Have read the forums . I have tried $XJO:ASX and nothing comes up when entered like that. In the Columns I get   : Last : Change : Low : High : Pvs Cls . All other Stocks I watch work OK.

Regards   Tony

Hi Jerry

The indexes (XAO:ASX, XJO:ASX,XFJ:ASX, etc) in fact do work using data from Commsec.

However, a problem relating to the updating of the data for the indexes in MT remains (the same problem apparently does not apply to individual stocks). The problem that occurs is that the indexes are not updating, but if an index symbol was double clicked to open a chart of the index, this would initiate a refresh of the index's data, which would result in the data for the index being updated for the remainder of the session. At least all of that is my experience and is what I currently continue to do.

Alf

when you open the chart and it updates, it is backfilled. Backfill is definitely not coming from Commsec since Commsec is not configured for it.  You said that it updates after that - if you close the chart? If not, it may be updating from a different source, which you would see in the dashboard if you have another source other than Commsec listed with a number in the Level 1 column

Hi Jerry. Yes, I poorly worded my post - what I meant to say was that I click on the index symbol througout the session to refresh the index data. The charts for indexes are always empty. So where is the refresh data coming from? I always assumed that it was from Commsec - but it could be from the ASX (20 minute delayed) which is also streaming at the same time as commsec. I had previously considered whether the data was from the ASX but I thought not because the symbol at the ASX would be XAO and not XAO:ASX, in which case it would be unlikely to be from the ASX. But I could be wrong on that conclusion. 

In any event, index data is important because its correct location in the list of portfolio symbols tells me the general state of play of the market.

clicking on a symbol in and of itself does nothing, so I assume you are double clicking and bringing up a chart, which in turn triggers automatic backfill on that symbol and that is why data updates at that point.  Commsec does not have backfill, so MT picks the first available backfill source (probably Yahoo or Google) and backfills from there.  

The :ASX suffix is part of the MT symbol format, not specific to a site. MT does necessary conversions for the different sites as far as syntax is concerned,

Like I said - create a separate portfolio specifically for the index symbols. Open in a separate window.  Set it to use Yahoo as the source. That way the indices will update automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've found that I can add XJO:ASX to my regular Portfolio list and get data in the following columns; Prv Cls, Change, Chg%, Low, High, and Last. I have to double-click to update it but it appears to be live, not 20 minute delayed and comes from Trading Room. The rest of the stocks data in the Portfolio comes from Commsec, is live and refreshes automatically. I didn't have to manually select data sources to set it up, all I did was add XJO:ASX to the list.