Medved Trader Forums

Ways to enhance speed

MTG

Question

Hi Jerry,

I'm finding it takes a long time to fill data on the portfolio page.  Currently I have 800 stocks and I know that's a lot for MT, but that's what I need to do.

-- Is speed mainly a function of the chosen data source? 

-- What other factors affect speed?

-- How long should it take to fill 800 symbols with a good broadband connection, dual core processor and 2GB RAM?

-- How long should it take for IB as the source to do the same?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Ok I can upgrade my PC's RAM - would 8 GB be ok?

What about processor - does that influence things as much as memory?

Currently using Etrade AU or BellDirect AU.  You have mentioned Bell is slow, but Etrade seems to be about the same speed. 

Memory will improve things.  As for processor, normally I would say yes. But with snapshot quotes you are probably not maxing out CPU usage.  In general, MT is very multi-threaded so it will really use the multiple cores, if available.

With BellDirect, MT needs to get one HTML page for every quote update, for every symbol.  With E*Trade AU, it can get up to 7 quotes per request, so E*Trade will be way more efficient. But in general, snapshot quotes will be slow compared to streaming. Right now the only source we have that provides streaming Australian is I believe Interactive Brokers.  We would be glad to add support for others, but would need cooperation from the broker.