Medved Trader Forums

Option Chains - Comments & Questions

zenlando

Hey guys, much appreciation for all the time and work in getting options chains up and running. It'll be great now to be able to drag and drop the option symbols directly into a portfolio. And I really like the way the drop down menus can be added to the QAT in the same manner as a portfolio. Good job, and totally consistent with the design of the other windows.

A few comment and questions:

• I presume that the existing option chain button that shows in the QAT will be updated in a future release so that it opens the option chain window of the current portfolio symbol selected?
  • Since I won't have the option chain window open all the time, I really need to have it behave like a child window so that it will always open up on top of the charts (the same way my Level II and Raw Data do). Right now it appears to function like a portfolio window. Since I have the "child windows on top" box checked, I'm assuming there's nothing else I can do on my end to make the change?
  • It appears that when an option TYPE like a vertical spread is selected, the columns do not automatically laterally adjust for the change in width like they do in QT. Instead there is an overlap of the other columns, and then a gap when it goes back to a narrow TYPE like calendar. I'm assuming this just hasn't been addressed yet.
  • In QT I'm able to trade something like a vertical spread in its entirety by right clicking on the bid or ask of the spread itself which brings up the filled out trade ticket showing both legs. I'm likewise just assuming this will be something added in a future release update?
  • I noticed that in the dark color sets like Silverback or Night there is not much contrast in the background shading of the ITM vs. OTM strikes. Would be nice if these areas had better visual definition. If that's not possible, maybe some kind of more visible horizontal line differentiation at the separation?
  • I'd really like to be able to delete an option symbol form a portfolio list by a simple right click... and of course that means I'd also like to be able to add or delete a stock symbol the same way, using the context menu rather than clicking on the + or - in the QAT. Now that I've been using MT for some time I can say for sure that for me it would be more intuitive, simpler and faster.

Thanks again, Dave

existing option chain button on QAT - the QAT button you refer to is one from the Add Option button on the ribbon, and no, that will stay the same.That is the selector for a single option symbol.  

Option chain window on top setting - fixed. It is now like the charts, raw data, etc.

column sizes - will have to get back to you on that

Vertical Spread trading - right now MT does not support complex options trading, so we did not enable that capability from the option chain. When we add that to the trading, we will make it so it can be traded from the chain window.

Colors - MT is using the stripe row color for ITM options.  Some color sets don't have that much distinction for the stripe row. I don't want to modify existing color set's stripe row color since that impacts more than just the chain. I made it so I can override that for specific color sets and made Silverback and Night a bit lighter background for ITM.  

Delete in portfolio = right click, select CUT - does the same thing.  Also SHIFT+DEL does it.