Medved Trader Forums

Not sure how to get chart window back

MTfan

Hi,

I have the following setup:

• Single screen
  • Portfolio window maximized in all directions (By that I mean it is maximized to the top, right, bottom and left of screen)
  • Chart window on top of Portfolio window, maximized to the top, right and bottom of screen, and and about 2 inches away from the left side of screen, so that I can see the list of symbols in the Portfilio screen
  • The 2 windows linked so that if I click on a symbol in the Portfilio window, the Chart window shows the chart for that symbol

Problem

Sometimes the Chart window disappears when I click on a symbol in the Portfoilio window and I dont see a way to get it back:

• There is only one button in the Windows task bar for it seems both the Portfolio and Chart window, so I cant click a button on the taskbar to get the Chart window back, ie it does not seem to have its own button
  • If I right click on the Chart window (before it disappears) then I do not see a "Always on top" selection
  • I have tried playing with selecting "bring to front" on the Chart window but that does not seem to work

I think I have a similar problem as http://forums.medvedtrader.com/topic/1344-chart-keeps-vanishing/

but he/she was able to click something to get the chart back, but I dont see anything to click.

I am very sorry if there is an obvious solution to this that I am missing. I used to use QT this way and did not have this problem, so I am not sure how to resolve it.

Thanks ahead of time.

with the default settings, the chart are supposed to stay on top.  I will cover some quick solutions first

go to MT SETTINGS / APPLICATION / GENERAL screen. In the "Other" section, you can check the box for "Separate Task Bar Icon for Child Windows (Charts, etc...)

I assume you have "Child Windows on Top" checkbox already checked, right?

Now when the problem occurs, click on the chart's icon on the task bar.   Does it come up? and does clicking on the portfolio again hide the chart?  If it does, close the chart and re-open it. Does that fix it?

This is not supposed to happen.  Since you seem to be able to get it to happen somewhat regularly, can you let me know what you do to get it to occur? any particular steps that you notice doing before it happens?

Hi Jerry,

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful response.

"In the "Other" section, you can check the box for "Separate Task Bar Icon for Child Windows (Charts, etc...) "

• I did this, thanks for pointing this out.

"I assume you have "Child Windows on Top" checkbox already checked, right? "

• Yes that was already checked, I take it that is the default.

"Now when the problem occurs, click on the chart's icon on the task bar.   Does it come up? and does clicking on the portfolio again hide the chart?  If it does, close the chart and re-open it. Does that fix it? "

• Unfortunately this is/was an intermittent problem and I can't reproduce it at the moment, so I am not able to answer your question. Instead I will of course let you know if it happens again.....

I do have "Bring all windows to front when one window is clicked" checked. Could that have anything to do with it? I am not sure I understand this option. On a single screen, with multiple windows, only one can be shown on the front. Not sure how all windows could be brought to the front. I am wondering if all windows are being brought to front but the portfolio window is the winner and is in front of the chart window....

the "Bring all windows to front when one window is clicked" should be left checked.  That is basically MT's internal windows management  if you are in some other non-MT app and there are windows covering the various MT windows, then when you click on one MT window, it brings all of them to the front of the non-MT windows.  That is the default functionality for regular Windows apps, but because MT does some stuff differently for performance reasons, we had to do our own Windows management.  Unchecking that box would turn off that, but would result in degraded user experience for most people.

Hi, I had the problem re-occur, and I said I would let you know if it did....

It started after I opened a 2nd portfolio, looked at some charts of the symbols in the portfolio, and then closed the 2nd portfolio. That left the 1st portfolio still open, and when I clicked on a symbol in it, the chart would disappear.

"Now when the problem occurs, click on the chart's icon on the task bar.   Does it come up? and does clicking on the portfolio again hide the chart?  If it does, close the chart and re-open it. Does that fix it? "

• Yes that fixed it.
  • LOL - EDIT, after I entered the text in this post above, I went back to MT, and the issue is back. without having opened and closed a 2nd portfolio....
  • Ok, after further messing about, I am finding that if I switch out of MT to go to a non MT window such as my browser, or email client, and then come back to MT, the problem is back. BUT swithing to another app did not cause problems earlier....

So sequence of events were:

• Switch to 2nd portfolio, and close it
  • 1st portfolio hides chart
  • Open and close chart - this fixes it
  • Switch out of MT to another application, come back to MT, issue comes back
  • Open and close chart - this fixes it
  • Switch out of MT to another application, come back to MT, issue comes back

BUT I was switching in and out of MT before opening and closing a 2nd portfolio so portfolio switching may not have anything to do with it....

And I have been switching in and out of MT to other apps earlier and the problem did not occur, so its intermittent...

I did the following test and that did resolve it:

• Completely close MT
  • Open MT
  • Switch to other app like browser
  • Go back to MT

Problem now does not occur....

Edited by MTfan