Medved Trader Forums

Average Volume and Vol % not filling

riclru

Jerry - I am running MT today having tweaked it as you recommended using TDAmeritrade.   Everything looks good, except that my Avg Vol and Vol% columns are both blank.  I backfilled and they are still blank.  I tried adding new volume-related columns but the ones in Column Chooser are not useful for me.  Is there something additional I need to do?

Thanks, Rich

• 1 month later...

Jerry, I have been dealing with the same issue, but an even more bizarre one. I login to TDA automatically when MT starts, and use custom watchlists set up as portfolios for my TDA accounts, also have a "real" watchlist of stocks under consideration for buying. That watchlist had an empty column for avg. volume, and trying historical backfill like you suggested (using Smartsource) locked up the data feed to the watchlist, clicking on "cancel hist. backfill" did nothing, had to close and restart the program, which is when I noticed something different - I have the ribbon minimized for the two windows showing my TDA accounts, but it was visible in the watchlist window - I noticed the "source" item just below the portfolio name showed TDA, so I clicked on it and switched it to Yahoo Finance - voila! Avg. volume instantly backfilled. The oddity is that I have TDA as source for my two "faked" accounts as well, but avg. volume shows up on those windows - how can this be? TDA doesn't appear to supply avg. volume, or at least it's not available when you try to customize your portfolio view on the TDA webpage.

In any case, for others who might experience this problem, maximize the ribbon and try selecting a different data source - Yahoo worked for me. Oops - wait a second - just went back and looked at that watchlist, noticed that there was a tiny icon next to the symbols showing data was delayed, because the source was Yahoo - changed it back to TDA, got back real time data, and avg. volume is still there, but I'm guessing it won't be updated over time? Won't really know for a while, as Yahoo uses 3 months to calculate avg. volume.

P.S. Still working on updating to SP2, think I may have found a solution - ran the Vista System Readiness tool I found online yesterday, discovered I was missing an update needed to install SP2, will try again this weekend. One critical other thing I discovered - if you have backup apps running in the background that use Windows System Restore files like I do (Macrium Reflect), Vista SP2 will fail at the third stage and revert back to SP1. Closing those processes prior to running the SP2 upgrade doesn't help, because the PC reboots between each stage, which restarts them on the first and second reboot - you need to run MSConfig.exe, go to Services tab, click on "hide MS services", then disable what's left - the backup app I use starts via the registry, not the Startup group directory, so you have to disable it in this manner, it's the only way that works. Will see if this method works this weekend - I assume TradeKing data feed provides avg. volume w/o the delay on real time quotes like Yahoo has?