Medved Trader Forums

Default account

jasarnold

I checked default on one of my three TDA accounts and now I can't initiate a trade from a portfolio under any other account.  On the other hand, I can do so from a chart.  If that is the way default is supposed the work, so be it.  The real problem is I can't undo the selection to have none of the accounts as default.  I even deleted the account and re-entered it - the default check mark came back automatically.

Default Trading account does not hinder you from trading other accounts. What it does is just determine what is the default account to open Trade Ticket for if you right click and select TRADE.  However, you can:

• change the account on the trade ticket.
  • Drag a symbol to an existing trade ticket regardless of the account
  • have any account selected for trading in Chart trading
  • open a trade ticket on any account from the dashboard

Also, if you are initiating trading or opening a trade ticket from another trade enabled window, then it will always open the trade ticket in the same account as the one selected on that trade window

I probably assumed default to be the problem because I did not see it before I made the change.  I still don't know why it would not be good to be able turn it off, however.

I almost always want to use the transaction value dollar amount to calculate share value when buying stocks.  That requires right click/trade.  It is frustrating that I can not simply change the account in a trade ticket and then proceed to right click/trade on a portfolio or a chart and the account not revert back to whatever account started the trade ticket or to a default.  What good is it to be able to change the account otherwise?  When something happens quickly, I want to execute a trade in a hurry (doesn't everyone?).  Getting to the right account should be easy and intuitive.

Edited by jasarnold
typo

when you hit CTRL+T or otherwise select TRADE, MT needs to know what account to use, if there is more than one. If no default (initially), it just picks the first one. But once you do select a default, it goes to that. Since it has to pick something, there is no reason to NOT have a default. Same as selecting first account as a default.

Why don't you just drag the symbol to the trade ticket?

Jerry,

Yes, it works like I expected, i.e. if account A is currently on the trade ticket, I can change it to account C and then initiate a trade from a portfolio, complete with automatic share quantity, for account C.  However, I can't use charts in the same manner -  they still default to the last setting for accounts even though "trading from charts" is not selected.  But I can live with that.

Thanks a lot,

Jim

Not sure what you mean about the charts. On the charts the account is manually selected by you. MT remembers the last account used. If you have the LINKED button on, then if you have a Trade Ticket or other trading windows open to the same account and they also have the LINKED button pressed, then changing the account in one will change it in the others.

Once an account is selected when enabling trade from charts, that account is default until changed - including after disabling trade from charts.  So, if you right click/trade symbol from a chart a trade ticket will be generated with that same account selected.  If I change the account on that ticket and then right click/trade symbol from the chart again, another new trade ticket will be generated ...  So, I can't get the functionality desired trading from charts unless I preset the account.

Once again though, that is not a big deal to me since you enabled me to do what I want from portfolios.