Medved Trader Forums

Data not loading

pault313

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry, I've tried using multiple data sources available to me - Google Finance, TDA, SmartSource (no idea where that data comes from), and Yahoo Finance - none of them will show shares outstanding for my portfolios.

These are the data sources available to me - does the non-green stick pin icon on the right hand side mean these feeds are not available?

I did search the forums and find the trick for showing previous volume (or avg. vol?) using historical backfill, but that doesn't work for shrs out. I see TDA doesn't have a column under "change view", for shrs out, so that's probably why using TDA as data source doesn't work - but Yahoo does show the data, at least on the Key Stats page, and Google shows "Shares" and other info directly under the stock name/symbol as shown below - is this data not in a "feed" that MT can read?

+0.03 (0.90%)
After Hours: 3.35 0.00 (0.00%)
Feb 8, 4:36PM EST  
NASDAQ real-time data - Disclaimer
Currency in USD
Range 3.26 - 3.39
52 week 1.24 - 3.65
Open 3.39
Vol / Avg. 2.05M/1.55M
Mkt cap 904.34M
P/E     -
Div/yield     -
EPS -0.43
Shares 269.95M
Beta 0.88
Inst. own

42%

Edited by ex_hacker202
hit enter by mistake

Don't have Yahoo set to use HTML quotes, tried back filling using Yahoo as source, got shrs out and market cap for ~ 1/3 of a watchlist, but nothing filled in my actual account portfolios, although I could see an icon saying "backfilling X Y Z", ran through all symbols then stopped. Weird - can't make heads or tails what stocks/funds that did show shrs out and MC and those that didn't. Don't have access to the others you listed, still working on TK/SP2 problem.

backfill is completely irrelevant. It gets historical data for charts. nothing else. The data you are looking for comes from the regular Level I quotes. Are you getting the quotes from Yahoo? quotes on? Refresh. (there is a refresh button on top left of the portfolio, right where Yahoo should be selected). If it doesn't work, indicate which exact symbol this is for.

I don't see a "refresh" button upper left, just a "start quotes/stop quotes" icon in that location - it's like stoplight, green when real time quotes are coming in from TDA. Figured out what I think you meant for me to do though - I clicked on "Main", the "Source", changed it to Yahoo, then MC and shrs out filled in, got the "quotes delayed" icon next to each symbol, then switched source back to TDA for real time instead of delayed quotes. Oddly, two symbols, ARNA and AMRN, still showed "delayed quotes" next to them after the switch back to TDA source, could be some artifact? I assume every time I start MT I'd have to do this temp switch, or will shrs out and MC data be stored and available the next time I start MT?

Answer to your last question, which symbols didn't fill from Yahoo, I think I know why those are blank - they're all CEFs or ETFs, and shrs out at a given time of day isn't really a known value - a CEF can issue new shares at any time if they have a DRIP, and ETFs can create new units whenever there's demand for them, and their NAV isn't known until after COB on every day. That's not really a problem from my POV.

if you have TDA Selected for quotes, there wouldn't be a refresh button. Only would show up if you select Yahoo.

Being that Market Cap does not significantly change from day to day, you probably don't need to do this every day, unless you clear data. MT stores whatever data it has. 

Delayed flag staying there - if the quote from TDA is not newer than the one already there, it wouldn't update and thus the delayed flag (would usually happen either on slow stocks or after hours). Don't worry about it. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/10/2017 at 4:53 PM, ex_hacker202 said:

I clicked on "Main", the "Source", changed it to Yahoo, then MC and shrs out filled in, got the "quotes delayed" icon next to each symbol, then switched source back to TDA for real time instead of delayed quotes.

Similar problem - now that Yahoo has cut off downloading historical data (at least into Excel), I'm no longer seeing previous day's volume in MT - actually, I think this may actually be a new issue? I'm getting Volume and Avg. Volume (a problem I had last year, solved in this thread above), but not Previous Volume, doesn't matter which source I choose. TDA doesn't appear to provide prev. vol. - does Ally Invest give that data? Actually, something odd just happened - I switched the data source to Yahoo as shown above, backfilled all, and indeed, new numbers popped up in the avg. vol. column, but still nothing in prev. vol - any idea why?