Medved Trader Forums

TDA and IB Advanced API Features Status

airrun76

Question

Jerry,

Is there any update as to when we might get the new advanced APIs for TDA? I'd like to do things such as conditional orders, OCO, multiple-bracket orders, etc..for stocks (not options)?

I'm still looking to move to Interactive Brokers as well. Will MT support conditionals and multi-bracket and such as well? 

Can you give a comprehensive list of what these new order features will be for stocks (not options)?

Edited by airrun76

11 answers to this question

we are working on it. In the latest beta, we made changes where MT can now show the conditionals on AccountView/Transactions if entered outside of MT. Also implemented the conditional internally so MT is able to enter those orders. Now just need to add the hard part - the user interface changes to allow for the orders to be entered.

Jerry, I'm looking to open IB account. I may end up using TDA data feed but IB as a broker (trade orders) in MT.

Does MT support the type of example below with IB? 

Example: Buy xyz @ 2.00 with 1.50 stop and 3.00 limit sell (OCO or bracket order), if price moves >= 2.50, move stop to 2.00 and limit sell remains @ 3.00, if price >= 2.90 move stop to 2.50 and limit sell remains @ 3.00

I basically need to be able to set it and forget it trading so I don't have to sit and watch price all day to move my stops.  Stop will move based on a price condition but the limit sell price stays at 3.00. This means I'd like to set this in one instance and let conditions take care of rest.

Edited by airrun76

Right now you would have to enter the bracket sell (OCO) after your buy is executed. We are going to add the ability to specify the OCO at the time of the buy in the near future (OTOCO)

As for automatically moving the stop, no cannot do that. the OTOCO however will let you use a trailing stop for the stop order, so that may do what you want once we make the OTOCO available

Jerry,

1. Is there a guesstimation  (weeks, months, year) on when OTOCO/multi-stage orders will become available in MT? 

2. If I sign up for Interactive Brokers account (IB) and allow connections to their API via TWS, do I have to subscribe to IB market feeds for quotes? Or can I use my TDA data feed for real-time quotes and then simultaneously place stock trades via IB account?

I'm thinking I'll switch to IB once OTOCO type orders are possible in MT.

Edited by airrun76

1) weeks to a month, though if you want, I can enable your account for it so you can see the work in progress. can place the orders. Just working on some field defaulting stuff. Works for both IB and TDA (and others)

2) you do not have to subscribe to IB for data. But if you do not, and wish to trade through IB, you will need to check a box in TWS API settings to bypass some API protection stuff. Otherwise, their system thinks that you are placing orders without knowing the latest data.

• Thanks 1