Medved Trader Forums

Chart indicator Line alerts

Bigbocarat

Question

Is it possible that when you set a chart indicator that you can set an alert with that as well? For example on a chart I have a horizontal lines set for previous low that draws a red line on todays chart at where the stocks yesterday low was. So it changes everyday depending on where yesterdays low point was. It would be great if I had the option when setting up :Horizontal Line (PLow) I could set an alert so that a ding and window pops up everytime todays price crosses yesterdays low.  This would be much more convenient than running a scan to do this and it could be easily turned on and off per symbol. Ideally it would also be nice for this proposed feature and in scans to be able to chose a % near that level to alert so that you  get a notice when you are getting close to a trigger point. For example when a stock is getting near its previous close it alot of time shoots thru this to higher prices. It would be get to get a notification when then price is getting near to have time to react before the event.

4 answers to this question

I understand that indicators are computed while something like a trend line alert is not. That's why you can't just right click an indicator and set an alert. But, since you mentioned the previous low line is on a chart, you could write a paintbar that checks for your condition and just add it to the chart. You wouldn't have to make it a scan. You would have to make it a scan if you wanted to check all the symbols in a portfolio. It's fairly fast to add or remove a paintbar from a particular chart. Or you could just turn the paintbar's alert on and off. As for "% near", just write it in the C# code that triggers the alert.

Edited by wilburpost2

Bigbo, I am an electrical engineer, and i also feared the learning curve of C#. But, the kind Medved brothers helped me slide down the rabbit hole into the dark recesses of C#, which BTW, is immensely easier than plain old C. It's amazing how fast you can come up to speed and be writing code. The PB I use for my scanner had a humble beginning but now has grown to 600 lines of code. My suggestion is to use the simple PB editor and just do something like if the close = the previous low then set an alert. Switch to advanced mode and you will see the code and as any good engineer knows it is easier to modify than to create. Then you can add code like Close * .99 if you want the alert to be set when the Close is within 1% of the previous day low. Play around, do simple stuff, look at code examples on the MT website. Check back in a few weeks and help me with my code. :)

• Thanks 1