Medved Trader Forums

User-defined Indicator / Way to display values in Chart

Doug Hayman

I'm assuming there is no way to create a user-defined indicator in MT.  For example, I might want an indicator to graph the delta EMA value from one candle to the next.

Alternatively, is there a function I can use in Paintbar logic that could display such a value maybe above a given candle at specified coordinate locations on my chart?

Any other ideas on how I can get a graphic or numeric representation of a "user-defined" indicator like that?

Thanks in advance.

Mike, understand the issue with decimals displaying and spacing on chart.  

Maybe I'm being dense here, but an intraday chart has to be associated with a symbol, which means that the chart price scaling is going to be relative to the chart symbol prices, right?  Even in a separate chart, if I want to chart EMA deltas from candle-to-candle or maybe chart it as a 1-to-100 oscillator, those low values are not going to display properly in a chart via SetYValue that has chart symbol prices at high values (for example, @MESH21).

I tried enabling chart option "Hide Primary Chart", which gets rid of the candles, but it still retains the price scaling for that symbol in the chart.   Is there a way that I can have my SetYValues display in the scenario above in a different chart?  

Thanks again.

Dang Mike!   I had no idea that Paintbars could appear BELOW the main chart.  I just dragged to below chart (from above chart), and the scaling now works great!   This is great, as effectively user-defined indicators and oscillators can easily be developed using SetYValue.

Thank you!