Medved Trader Forums

Tick chart

Arg

Hi,

The tick chart attached is at 30 ticks. The period shown is from about 5.30 to 7.50pm. There are only 19 candles but in reality there should be hundreds, probably over 1000.

Do you know why not all the candles are displaying? The data is from TDA.

Untitled.png

the problem is that the data you have is 1 min OHLC. that is stored as 4 points per minute. So you don't really have tick data to show on the charts. Once you run MT during the day so it can get real-time Level I quotes and store them, MT should have real tick data and it will look quite different.

NOTE: there are some sources that have Tick Backfill for example
IQFeed
QuoteMedia
Ally Invest

also, as far as Level I quotes, not all streaming sources are tick. Some aggregate. Ally Invest for one. TD Ameritrade by default is aggregated, though you can change it to TICK data on SETTINGS / DATA SOURCES / CONFIGURE ACCOUNTS

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am missing a lot of candles on the charts especially in after-hours.  I have a realtime data feed with Questrade, but I find myself needing to push backfill constantly to make all the candles appear.  Also, the charts are quite slow to appear when I enter a new ticker on the chart (couple of seconds), and this lag is causing me some issues.

Will I still need to manually push backfill if I subscribe to an additional data feed like QuoteMedia?  Are the charts going to appear "more" instantly?

Thanks

it sounds like this happens when you enter a symbol on the charts that has not been getting quotes on the portfolio. in that case, MT has to get backfilled data and that is what is taking time plus missing extended hours candles. If you have the symbol in an MT portfolio so it will get quotes, those quotes will be stored and the chart will have data to show without need to backfill.

QuoteMedia subscription would give you a higher # of concurrent symbols that you can track (Questrade is 50. QuoteMedia is 120 and can go up to 1200) and their backfill is much faster, plus you have tick backfill as an option. 

Hi Jerry!

Thanks for your help.  I realize though that I still need to manually push backfill for the tickers in my watchlists, portfolio or account windows.  Is there any automatic way to auto-backfill the charts when I click on a ticker?  It's a little bit confusing because I don't know when there is no stock price action or if it's rather missing candles in the chart.

1) charts should auto backfill when opened or when symbol is changed automatically by default. 

2) if you get quotes, that would update the charts.

3) all the data is cached so if you bring up a chart, and then later bring it up again - MT does not have to get that data again.

Are your quotes updating in the portfolio?

Thanks again Jerry, I realize that the charts were not auto backfilling during after hours, but they are during regular hours.  I tried both with Questrade and Webull as backfilling source.  Yes the quotes were updating in the portfolios (or at least the last price was right).  In my settings also, in Charts/General  I have Extended hours set to Always.

In regular hours the data is complete and updating quickly it seems.

if quotes are updating in portfolio, backfill should not even be needed on the charts - you not seeing the same quotes show on the charts?

As for auto backfill for extended hours if you were not getting quotes for the symbol, MT detects gaps in the data and backfills to the oldest gap. However, if the only gaps are in the extended hours, then it will not auto backfill since that is normal in ext. hours. But like I said - that is only issue if you are not getting the quotes for the symbols already

• Like 1

Hi, one last question: is there a better quality / speed / compatibility data provider between the ones indicated on the website (QuoteStream, IQFeed, etc)?  I am hoping for the fastest data possible and MT features compatibility.  Thanks for your help.