Medved Trader Forums

How to reference a candle with timestamp

BlueCollarDayTrading

It can be done pretty easily - but not directly. The thing is, the paintbar/scan always runs through ALL the candles it has before it starts chugging on incoming data with the last candle only. So look at this. Note that I am doing the PrevTimestamp thing just to make sure it records the first candle at after 10 minutes after session start - in case there is no candle exactly at 10 min after session start. Modify it to change the time you're checking.

Double At10MinAfterSessionStart=0;  // Close of first candle 10 minutes after session start or after
DateTime PrevTimeStamp;

public void MainCalculation()
{
    var Cutoff = TradingDay.SessionStart.AddMinutes(10);
    if (Timestamp >= Cutoff && PrevTimeStamp<Cutoff)
    {
        At10MinAfterSessionStart = Close;
    }
    PrevTimeStamp = Timestamp;
}

"How can I check if a candle close is greater than a candle open at 9am EST"  - the "candle close" in that statement - is that at 9am or is it current?

If current - then this code: (make sure you run it with extended hours turned on)

Double At30MinBeforeSessionStart=0;  // Open of first candle that shows up at 30 minutes or less before session start
DateTime PrevTimeStamp;

{
    var Cutoff = TradingDay.SessionStart.AddMinutes(-30);
    if (Timestamp >= Cutoff && PrevTimeStamp<Cutoff)
    {
        At30MinBeforeSessionStart= Open;
    }

// this checks if current Close is greater than the Open at 9am

if (Timestamp >= TradingDay.SessionStart && Close > At30MinBeforeSessionStart)  // checks if in regular session AND close > open-at-9am
   {

... do something here...

}

}

What I am trying to do is check the Open and Close of the 9am candle only and then do something.

for example after 45 mins into the market open (1015am EST) I still want to check if the 9am candle close was above or below the 9am candle open. Then I will run some calculations depending on if the 9am candle is a green or red bar.

I want to run a scan/paintbar that checks the 9am candle for red or green close and then does some calculations on the current bar. I have the calculations for the current bar I just can't figure out how to do a specific bar in the past data. Been trying to use time.

Ah ok. I misunderstood.

Boolean Green9AMCandle;
DateTime PrevTimeStamp;

{
    if (Timestamp >= Cutoff && PrevTimeStamp<=Cutoff)
    {
        Green9AMCandle = Open>Close;
    }

if (Green9AMCandle)

{

... do something here...

}

}

Been working this since yesterday. I am not able to get it to work for the simplest thing. 

I am trying to simply get it to work for Green if true and Red if false. Then I tried to get it to simply do Green if true and nothing if false.

All I get is a green. I set a paintbar to do a green band at top if true and nothing if false. It give me a green band at top on all charts no matter.

Can you show me how I can get a Green if True, A Red if False, and White if Close==Open

Programing is not my thing but I am trying to figure this out

On 6/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, Mike Medved said:

Ah ok. I misunderstood.

Boolean Green9AMCandle;
DateTime PrevTimeStamp;

{
    if (Timestamp >= Cutoff && PrevTimeStamp<=Cutoff)
    {
        Green9AMCandle = Open>Close;
    }

if (Green9AMCandle)

{

... do something here...

}

}

Been working this since yesterday. I am not able to get it to work for the simplest thing. 

I am trying to simply get it to work for Green if true and Red if false. Then I tried to get it to simply do Green if true and nothing if false.

All I get is a green. I set a paintbar to do a green band at top if true and nothing if false. It give me a green band at top on all charts no matter.

Can you show me how I can get a Green if True, A Red if False, and White if Close==Open

On 6/11/2021 at 9:33 PM, BlueCollarDayTrading said:

Well, was the 9am candle Green? Because if it was, then it would show green band.

Export your paintbar and send it to us support@medvedtrader.com

• 1 month later...

Been trying to use this but it does not work in real time. It only works correctly in backfills, so good for back testing. I have been trying to figure out what makes it work consistently and what makes it fail. I believe it has to do with the first tick of the candle being an uptick to be green and a down tick to be red. It may have something to do with using a Boolean.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, Mike Medved said:

Well, was the 9am candle Green? Because if it was, then it would show green band.

Export your paintbar and send it to us support@medvedtrader.com

Been trying to use this but it does not work in real time. It only works correctly in backfills, so good for back testing. I have been trying to figure out what makes it work consistently and what makes it fail. I believe it has to do with the first tick of the candle being an uptick to be green and a down tick to be red. It may have something to do with using a Boolean.