Medved Trader Forums

Viewing Level II w/o charting the symbol?

zenlando

I've noticed that in a portfolio list in MT I can't hover and right click on any symbol to show Level II or Raw Data like I can in QT. In MT doing this only shows whatever symbol is currently filling the charts no matter what symbol I right click on, so I have to actually select the symbol and fill the charts before I can see Level II or Raw Data for that symbol. Is this a setting issue, or maybe something that just hasn't been implemented yet? Thanks.

I don't know what you are referring to. Right clicking on symbols in the portfolio has nothing at all to do with what symbols are in the charts.

You do not need to click first to right click and get a menu. If I have symbol AAA selected and hover and right click on BBB, the menu shows options for BBB.  

Please describe in more detail exactly what you are doing.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, maybe it's operator error, but has me baffled. I agree that I can hover and right click and get a menu, but then clicking on the Level II in that menu doesn't pull up Level II for that symbol. Instead, it pulls up the symbol that's being linked to the charts at that time.

Here's the example...hopefully this will explain what I'm seeing -- starting with pushpin on portfolio list being in sync to all charts, select symbol SPY and all charts fill with SPY data. Then go down list and hover on QQQ and menu shows QQQ as you mention. But then when I click on Level II on that menu I get Level II for SPY and not QQQ (same for Raw Data). And it comes up showing the pushpin engaged on this Level II SPY when I haven't set it. It does this whether the actual symbol SPY on the portfolio list has its pushpin set on Level II or not. And the strange thing is some symbols do come up with the proper ones, but they are in the minority. Then to complete the example, if I instead select QQQ as the symbol to fill all the charts, now it becomes the one that shows up as the actual Level II when I hover and click on another symbol's menu.

I looked again at QT, and it works as you say, and the way I'm used to... has nothing to do with what symbol is being selected that's linked to charts, and hover menu for any symbol produces Level II for that symbol.

I think the issue is with some settings data that got saved incorrectly in older versions. I just modified MT to do an extra check specific to the situation.  If using your example, when the Level II comes up for SPY, Un-Pin it, switch to QQQ, then close it.  If you repeat again, it comes up correctly, right?

Yes, that works only because at that point I have selected both SPY and QQQ as the symbols to fill the charts and have unpinned Level II on both. I've been experimenting with trying some new symbols I added to the portfolio list, and here's what I've found, which may be what you are saying - the only way a symbol will behave "normally" (meaning showing its own Level II when I hover and select the menu item), is if I first select it as the chosen portfolio symbol to fill the charts and then unpin its Level II. Once I do that one time, then from that point on it will behave as it should, even after I select a different symbol to chart.

So basically the way it appears to me to be working now is after adding a symbol to the portfolio, I would need to select it as the chosen symbol to chart, unpin the Level II, and from that point on it seems it will work OK when I come back to it and do the hover thing. But until it's selected as the chosen symbol to chart at least once it will always only show the Level II of the last symbol chosen to chart.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jerry, I was hopeful that one of your last couple of updates would have fixed this, but it's still doing exactly what it was when I started this thread. That is - right clicking on any symbol in a portfolio list and selecting Level II (or Raw Data) brings up the dialogue already pinned to the last symbol that was selected for charting instead of the symbol that has been right clicked on.

As mentioned before, I'm comparing this to QT where the dialogue comes up for Level II showing the symbol that you have right clicked on, and is not pinned to anything. Thanks.

I thought I put in a check for that.  Basically if you started with clean settings - nothing previously stored, I think it would not do that because that pin would never get saved like that. but now that you have the stuff stored, it gets messed up.  Could you export and email me the settings again.

Thanks

Sure, I'll send it on over. I just tried creating a new portfolio list and added a few symbols and initially it seemed to be OK. But then when I selected one to chart, and then tried the other symbols it then worked fine for some and again showed the charted symbol for others. So seems it's something of an intermittent issue...