Medved Trader Forums

can't save column sets in TDA "Accounts" page

ex_hacker202

One of my stocks (XPER) split up into two companies last Friday, and TDA's "Gainskeeper" page shows my cost basis on their website for the two symbols, XPER and ADEA - but they don't show up on the positions page yet. I keep track of my total cost basis and "cash cost basis" in Excel, where I consider DRIP shares as "free" - to see what MT was showing for my basis in the new stock (ADEA) and the remaining shrs of XPER I opened the Account view for my IRA - it shows the same basis for XPER, but a really odd (way too low) basis for ADEA, probably TDA's fault for not updating their positions data yet, which is where I believe MT pulls the data from for the Account view. I added some extra columns to the default account view columns, but can't see a way to save that layout - when I closed that tab and reopened Account view it was back to the few default columns.

So two questions:

1. Am I correct that MT pulls cost basis from TDA's positions page?

2. Is there any way to save a custom column layout in the Account tab? I usually only look at Portfolios, which is where I enter my cash cost basis, and those custom columns are saved for each portfolio tab when I close them or exit MT - why can't I do the same in Account tabs? I have known for years that there are multiple columns available in Portfolio tabs that you cannot load in the Account tab - is that related to the not saving the layout issue?

1) yes, MT gets the PAID value from the broker. Not computed or stored. 

2) that should usually be stored. you can configure one window the way you want, then right click on the caption and select "Set As Default for all" - note: that saves ALL the window settings to be the default for all account view windows.

Does the "Set As Default for all"  choice change all the custom portfolio views too? Because of the more columns available in portfolios I don't want the limited column set of account view to apply to portfolios. I opened the account view for my IRA, added the columns I wanted, clicked on "Set as Default", then opened account view for my cash account and it was the MT default account view, not the view I set as default for the IRA - does "set as default" only apply to a given account, meaning I'd have to customize each account view as set as default for that account to save it?

if you do "Set As Default" it will apply to future account view windows that do not already have settings set, but will NOT change stuff that is already stored. If you select "Set as default and reset all" then it will clear out the existing saved settings so new default will apply to all account view windows.

Ok, got things set now - only question left is why isn't there a column for $ and % gain/loss for that day for each position? There's only a $ and % gain/loss overall - in the portfolio view I probably watch a given stock's daily $ gain more than anything - in fact, that's how I sort the list, biggest daily gain by $ at the top, biggest daily loss at the bottom.