Medved Trader Forums

Performance issue with sub minute charts

kylevb

I am using MT with both IB and Questrade.  I use 5 second charts (0.083 mins) and I have found that using sub minute charts appears to significantly impact performance of the chart itself and order execution.  For example I have both 5 second and 30 minute charts open at the same time and if I have the 5 second chart as the active window and press the order 1 share at ask + 0.1 five times it executes very slowly.  If I make the 30 minute chart the active window the orders execute much faster.  

I have tried with different chart performance settings and also tried on a brand new high performance PC and it does not seem to have much impact if any at all.  On the higher performance PC is has both a powerful CPU and graphics card (ryzen 7, 5700x and Nvidia 3060 ti), I also have monitored CPU and GPU usage and they are typically well below 30%.  

There seems to be a performance issue with zooming and panning on the sub minute charts as well.  

One additional observation is that if you use 0.083 mins rather than 0.08333 mins you get better performance.  So in other words if I go to 0.08333 mins then the performance is really low.  Same thing seems to be true for 1 second charts (0.016 vs 0.01667).

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the option in settings to disable the anti-aliasing in the charts and has made it work great! Additionally I didn't noticed any downside to how the charts looked with this feature off, so it is all good.  I guess I should looked through the options more carefully much earlier in the process!