Medved Trader Forums

dxFeed data packages

IB L II is good, BUT 1) limited to 3 at a time, and 2) there are some ECNs that are not included.  Its like they go out of the way to complicate things.

TradeStation - I have not actively used them for trading myself, but from what I saw they seem very good. Fast updates and comprehensive.  

@Adventures In .NET I use dxFeed exclusively for all equities data both L1 and L2, extremely delighted by the speed and data quality. The cost for indices is still too pricey for me and I don't trade based on them, so free TD Ameritrade feed is sufficient. Coming to trading, I have margin accounts with TDA, IBKR, and TS day trading in each one.

IBKR has the fastest executions, best short locates, highest cash interest rate, and most relaxed about violating buying power overnight. They have higher margin/maintenance requirements for some common equities though. I really like the extensive order types as well, like Market/Limit on Close. IBKR and TDA do ad-hoc wires in/out so you don't have to wait all day for your money. Never needed to call customer service.

TDA and TS are executions are a bit slower than IBKR, but with the SMART route and $0 commission you get what you pay for. One great thing about TS is the extensive routes and order types which really helps target liquidity to get in and out of positions quickly/easily. TDA has horrible short locates, only can get the big tickers; TS has a short locator which is better than TDA but not as good as IBKR. Cash interest rates on both are lower than IBKR. TDA has lower margin/maintenance requirements and gives a lot of time to correct violations. TDA customer service is pretty solid if you call during the trading day.

Two things to watch out for with TS - they have a really early wire cutoff and batch their transfers at the end of every day, so if you need your money fast don't count on it. The last and most frustrating is TS's disaster of a margin department, they will set your account to closing positions only constantly; even their own people don't know what's going on (they are also mean). The best advice I can give you is either use your account for day trading and liquidate each day or use it for long-term swings always holding overnight, but never combine the two.

To that end, the MT team has done a spectacular job integrating the above providers/brokers and the anecdotes above are that of the providers/brokers themselves and not MT. Hope this helps!

Edited by Donald Q.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

for comparison purposes, would be much easier if you compared L II to L II with different sources.

Agreed, but in my example, dxFeed L1 is more accurate than TS L2. dxFeed L2 is probably faster, so even though it will cost me a bit more, it's probably worth it in the long run.

I've also not seen it that off the past few days, so it may have been an issue just at the time.

I'm recording both L1 and L2 windows (TS & dxFeed) so I can review the video later.

Edited by Adventures In .NET