Medved Trader Forums

Schwab, no news is not good news

stock777

Posted (edited)

Wow.  Thats very bad news.   How come this is the first we hearing of it , doesn't anyone trade off news ?

I don't know what their reasoning is,  its very low bandwidth compared to quotes.

Another nail in the coffin .

TOS news is fine.   Why dont they just push that feed , and do away with the ridiculous 'subscription to symbols' policy.

PS Yesterday $ADD seemed to work and today its dead.

Edited by stock777

Posted (edited)

They have  the adv /decl indexes but not the combined for some nutty reason

The $add is still good on TOS

image.png.9e6077b5934fd6cc02350ea7c1b3fd75.png

I tried doing a two symbol  X-Y thing, which seems to work for stocks , but oddly , does not produce the CURRENT day, only previous days ( backfill)

That two symb subtraction does not work at all for $index's

Edited by stock777

you are looking in TOS. that uses different datafeed and is irrelevant for this discussion. If you want to check symbols, try either adding them to Watchlist on their website, or try entering them in the quick quote thingie on the bottom of their web page. I tried adding $ADD. It seems to recognize the symbol and shows the name, but returns all zeros

internally on their servers, current day data is separate from all previous days. Normally they merge the two. but if they don't have quotes (which seems to be the case) then current day data will not be there either, thus the situation you are seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

The reply I got was curt and unpromising

Clearly the best interests of traders is not a priority at Charlies, as evidenced by this and a broken level 2 when they had years to prepare.

I know the api is free, but still.

the api email is really intended for developers, not a general customer support contact. They deal with technical aspects of the API. News content availability is a completely separate issue. And as far as the Level II and options issues, the rollout was a giant undertaking even if it may look like just moving from one server to another. It isn't that simple. Not even close. And sometimes new stuff is found and it does take time to roll out a fix.

I was given that email as a contact by the agent I spoke to in tech support.  Typical run around, though  the reply seemed  to indicate they knew exactly what I was asking ask they said  NO.   If they thought  the question should have been kicked to another dept, they would have said so, presumably.

They did have an extended period of time to test the new api, and they do have a tremendous amount of  support staff.    When you or I have to produce and debug working code, it doesn't take a year.