Medved Trader Forums

streaming data from amtd running, no updates

chris

The data streaming from tdameritrade looks like it is running, but all the updates seem frozen on a watchlist (IBM, GOOG, MLNX, PCLN, GS, SPY, AAPL, AKAM) 

After I double click to get an intraday chart of AAPL for example, then it's data fields on the watchlist resume updating.

Am I misunderstanding something fundamental about how this is supposed to work?

I will try again tomorrow, I did not have the quote source selected.  Probably my fault - it is extra confusing since it partially works without selecting that, and the data source selection for the other two purposes looks different.

From a usability point of view, I would think it would be helpful to have stronger defaults.  e.g. if only one data source exists by the time a watchlist or chart is created to default to that source.

One thing that would be not quite as helpful, but easier to implement would be to have "Must select source" in the Source dropdown instead of a blank - which would be more of an eye catcher that things aren't set up correctly.

Sorry about my learning curve - I thought I remembered it better from my experiments with QT

Yes,  I am actually working on that right now.  Once you select a source on one portfolio,  MT will use the last used source if you create another. 
Just added a startup wizard which had you select a preferred source and some symbols for the default portfolio and news sources the first time you run MT. 

• 11 months later...

TDA news has not worked (on their side) for over a year. They changed some stuff and never bothered to fix the streaming news via the API. 

As for Yahoo/Google news it does work. you need to make sure you have either Active Portfolios or specific portfolios selected and MT will check the news on the symbols in those portfolios

I see new news for CIHN at 11:58 (Eastern) and JNSH at 12:04 eastern.  MT gets news from the source you select based on the frequency you have specified on the News setup screen. Both Yahoo and Google are snapshot news sources.  Others like IQFeed, The Fly On The Wall,  and Stockwatch are streaming.