Medved Trader Forums

START/STOP Bug

Lew Payne

Summary:  The [sTOP]/[sTART] toggle button in the portfolio and watchlist requires a double-toggle to get working.  Once you STOP the feed, another click does not START it, even though the button updates.  Instead, you must go through another full STOP/START cycle to restart the feed.

Version:  Medved Trader 1.0.1289.2254, Windows 7 x64, IQfeed 5.1.0.5

Applies to prior versions:  Don't know.

Probable Cause:  Assuming symbol @ES#C is currently being monitored; when STOP is first pressed, "r@ES#C" is properly injected into the stream and the button toggles to START.  When START is pressed, "w@ES#C" + "n" is not injected into the stream; possibly only "n" (news) is.  The button updates to STOP.

Solution:  Fix the toggle; allow binary state only, or use a state machine to track current settings.

I will try and post some additional comments regarding problems with how graphs are displayed, after a cursory review of the forums to make sure I'm not duplicating an existing report.

Lew,

We do have a state machine and I don't see this issue. What exactly does "to get it working" mean? what are you looking at for results - raw data? Chart? Level I?  

On the dashboard, we show # of symbols subscribed to each feed for each type of subscription.  What happens when you hit STOP? START?   Note - if you have a chart up for the symbol, it will stay subscribed.

Jerry

Let's say I'm watching @ES#C in a portfolio... data is streaming.  I then press "STOP" - the feed stops and the button changes to "START" (as it should).  I then press START... the button changes to STOP (as it should), but the feed fails to resume.  In order to resume the feed, I once again have to cycle the button...  I press STOP (even though the feed is already stopped) and then START again, in order to resume it.

That's what I mean by having to cycle the button...

STOP stops the feed.

START STOP START resumes it (the first START does not).

Lew

I see what you mean now; I apologize for not responding to the question being asked.

Here's a sequential toggle, with the diagnostics you seek...

Initial state - portfolio shows @ES#C updating, dashboard shows: IQFEED, Streaming, Running, Bwth=n, L1=1

STOP pressed - portfolio not updating, dashboard shows: IQFEED, Streaming, Running, Bwth=n, L1=blank

START pressed - portfolio not updating, dashboard shows: IQFEED, Streaming, Running, Bwth=n, L1=1

STOP pressed - portfolio not updating, dashboard shows: IQFEED, Streaming, Running, Bwth=n, L1=blank

START pressed - portfolio updating, dashboard shows: IQFEED, Streaming, Running, Bwth=n, L1=1

One thing I'm noticing - it seems to be time-related, as far as how long I wait between button presses.  When I take the time to write a diagnostic line out for you, the START toggle works fine.  When I hit stop followed by START a second or two later, it doesn't work but sometimes it does.  I hope that helps.

Lew

I tried running with IQFeed and doing really fast switches between start/stop and have not been able to recreate the issue.  I just have the dashboard open and one portfolio with @ES#C as the only symbol. 

If you are still getting this issue, can you run with the same setup and then change logging to 200 (top right area of the dashboard)

and recreate the issue a few times, then send me the MTLOG.LOG file ("Local" directory)

Thanks

I'm sending you a current MTLOG.LOG file - I'm able to recreate this quite easily.  In the log file, the very first STOP, START sequence leaves the portfolio stopped (non-updating) even though the dashboard shows an existing L1 connection.  In the screen capture (which I'm also sending), the quote data remains invariant - it's stuck there.  Hope that helps.

Lew