Medved Trader Forums

GUI design, user interface design, user friendliness design

Rob

Jerry, I'm not trying to tell you what to do.

However, I wonder if you can find and work with a software architect,

or a GUI designer, or user interface designer?

As a userI believe MT could use a master plan, a software architect,

or anyone who is good about GUI design, or customer user interface design.

Why am I saying this? Because currently there are way too
many windows and sub-windows. They appear like as if they

were added on an ad hoc basis.

Like as if, from time to time, small and medium-sized band aids were

needed. And whenever the need arose for small and medium sized band-aids,

a new, strange-looking window was added with the full knowledge that

it created an awkward experience for the user.

The issue is, they give the MT the look of an experimental or unplanned

assembly of too many windows and window sizes.

Rob, as I pointed out in the other post, both Jerry and I pay enormous attention to the GUI and "intuitiveness" of the user experience in general. We discuss/argue about this when we implement features. Jerry and I have about 55 years combined experience in UI design. We have certain principles we lay down as the basis for the UI in MT, such as "maximizing useful screen real estate" and "intuitiveness", and we try to follow them as much as we can when coding. Sometimes we are "forced" to adopt certain conventions and design elements that have gained wide acceptance (such as ribbon menu) in order not to be "outdated", even though we don't fully approve of them.

Please consider reporting the issues in UI that you find objectionable separately. Saying "your UI design sucks" is not helpful, particularly. If you think some feature or window does not flow together with the general design, point it out to us. We're always open to suggestions and we change things quite often when users point out some shortcomings.

• Like 3

Rob, as I mentioned in your other post, I think this may be more about just getting used to the software and releasing any preconceived notions about how you think it "should" work. While of course it's a beta version and is still being refined, I think Jerry and Mike have done a truly stellar job in the development of MT. From my perspective (and experience) the UI is more user friendly and intuitive BY FAR than any of the "usual suspects" that pass for serious trading software that are out there.

• Like 3

Mike,

> Please consider reporting the issues in UI that you find objectionable separately. Saying "your UI design sucks" is not helpful,
> particularly. If you think some feature or window does not flow together with the general design, point it out to us. We're always
> open to suggestions and we change things quite often when users point out some shortcomings.

In reality I just want to see a perfect or nearly perfect product,...
In reality I don't want to point out anything, especially not any shortcoming.
Because it's way too much work, and chances are that for many days and weeks I will be misunderstood.

However, when I feel strongly about something, I tend to make a note of it and write it down.

You're right and correct... as to feedbacks such as "your UI sucks"
because such comments are not very specific, not correctable, and not very practical.

However, the important thing we tend to forget that, the GUI of any application is highly important and special.

However, it's also the GUI that is the most time consuming
thing to provide feedback on -- if its to be specific, correctable, and practical.

The GUI is a LOT iike a sculpture... it's the VISIBLE, outward appearance of a lot of coding effort.
And, using of this analogy and, without trying to sound vague,
how can any of us put into words that the sculptor could and should make his sculpture
more attractive, if he wants to be successful in eventually selling he is working on?

All I can say now is that.... point well taken... I will think about it...
and will come back to it, as soon as time permits.

Rob

P.S. Mike, I do appreciate the time and effort you guys put into designing and coding the most recent revision Medved Trader.
        However, I don't have to give you any feedback, and you guys don't have to improve, re-design, or re-code anything at all.
        What I would like to se is that - compared to Quote Tracker - your Medved Trader is a better product in every way, shape and form.
        Additionally, let's keep in mind that, by definition, 'all' bug reports tend to be and are supposed to be negative,
        The issue is that, as to negative stuff, it's human nature that we often fail to see the good intention(s) behind it.
        Mike, I sincerely would like to see that you are able to sell your (new MT) software to stockbrokers such as TD Ameritrade.
        Mike, I would like to see that you succeed, and that your MT is better than your QT. -- Rob

• 1 month later...

Rob, as I pointed out in the other post, both Jerry and I pay enormous attention to the GUI and "intuitiveness" of the user experience in general. We discuss/argue about this when we implement features. Jerry and I have about 55 years combined experience in UI design. We have certain principles we lay down as the basis for the UI in MT, such as "maximizing useful screen real estate" and "intuitiveness", and we try to follow them as much as we can when coding. Sometimes we are "forced" to adopt certain conventions and design elements that have gained wide acceptance (such as ribbon menu) in order not to be "outdated", even though we don't fully approve of them.

Please consider reporting the issues in UI that you find objectionable separately. Saying "your UI design sucks" is not helpful, particularly. If you think some feature or window does not flow together with the general design, point it out to us. We're always open to suggestions and we change things quite often when users point out some shortcomings.

Mike, What I was trying to say earlier is as follows:

#1: My assumption is that you guys want to make a great first impression. So, please stop me right here, if this is not the case.

#2: Please don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT saying that "your app sucks". 

#3: Please don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT saying that "your app is butt ugly".

#4: This feedback is NOT about the skill of the developer(s).

#5: This feedback is NOT about the number of years of experience that the developer(s) have.

#6: This feedback is about beauty and user friendliness... mostly about the beauty of your app.

#7: As to making a great first impression, there are hundreds of minor, little things in your app that could be improved. I mean one or two things don't make much difference. However, when you modify a combination of hundreds of small things, then, and only then will you be able to tell that your app is really-really attractive.  However,

#8: There is not enough space over here, in this forum, It's nearly impossible to convey those little things, if I'm limited to the pages of this forum.

#9: Here is an idea: Why don't you take out a starving Art College student, and solicit his/her advice on how to improve the shape, color, and form of your app. What I'm talking here are neither bugs, nor features. What I'm talking here are your default settings. Because they're the ones that count. Because first impression count. And because you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Rob