Medved Trader Forums

XRE.TO only showing data back to Sep 2015

MTfan

Hi,

XRE.To using Yahoo as data feed is only showing back to about Sep 8 2015 on historical chart. I cant get more history than that.

I am quite sure that I have MT setup ok to get all data, because all other TSX symbols show up fine in historical charts - some go back 10 years + and I can see that.

Yahoo has data back to ~ 2004 - https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=XRE.TO&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

I hope you are entering into MT as XRE:CA (or XRE:TO), right? Its better to use MT symbol format.

As for the data, its a Yahoo issue:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=XRE.TO+Basic+Chart&t=1d#{"showArea":false,"showLine":false,"showOhlc":true,"lineType":"bar","range":"max","allowChartStacking":true}

If you set it to Bars, and set it to max, you get back exactly what MT is showing.  

Switch the symbol to MT format, then try backfilling with Google

Hi Jerry, thanks...

I hope you are entering into MT as XRE:CA (or XRE:TO), right? Its better to use MT symbol format.

• Sorry but when you say you hope that I have been using XRE:CA or XRE:TO, it implies to me that you think that I should know that. Yet I don't see anything about symbol format:
  • I do not see any topic in the Help file.
  • I just did a search in you Help file for "symbol", "yahoo", "google" and scanned thru the results and did not find anything saying I need to use XRE:CA (or XRE:TO).
  • I searched for "Symbol format" in your forum and I don't see anything in your forum about Canadian symbols, or for Yahoo or Google (just a post about Medved Trader Beta Instructions & Symbol Formats but that does not include this info)
  • Your http://medvedtrader.com/ is a single page so I am assuming it is not there.....
  • Your Google + page seems to be announcements and does not seem to have a help file.
  • So how do you expect me to know what symbology to use?  Please explain.
  • Lacking this info, I have done what I consider sensible which is to use XRE.TO (with a period, not a colon) because that is the Yahoo symbol format. Are you saying I should be using XRE:TO (with a colon) for Yahoo data feed?

If this info is somewhere, please point it out to me.

But please keep in mind it is not just about having the info somewhere, it is about having it be obvious and easily findable by the user, which based on what I see, it is not obvious.

I apologize if it is in front of my nose but in using MT for a few weeks I have never seen anything about Canadian symbol format....

Edited by MTfan

Since the problem for XRE.TO is being caused by Yahoo data, would you recommend that I use Google instead?

I notice that for some symbols, Yahoo only has 5 days of data, and I think Google does not have this issue.

I currently have a portfolio setup for Yahoo with 200+ symbols ending in .TO. Do I need to change them over?

Is :TO an internal MT convention to be used only for Yahoo?

Is :CA an internal convention meant to be used only with Google?

If I use :TO and that is an internal convention, can it be used with both Google and Yahoo?

If I use :CA and that is an internal convention, can it be used with both Google and Yahoo?

If so, which is better to use?

Edited by MTfan

as far as I know, the download link is only on this page:

Medved Trader Beta Instructions and Symbol Formats

and that has the MT symbology defined.  Help file currently has everything defined under "Symbology" (in the index).  Need to link it under Symbol Format as well.

the MT format with with either :CA or :TO will work with any quote source in MT that supports Canadian symbols 

as far as I know, the download link is only on this page:

Medved Trader Beta Instructions and Symbol Formats

• I had checked this page before posting and double checked now by searching thru it for "Canadian" ":CA" ":TO" and dont find anything. There is no reference to Canadian symbols in this page.

Edited by MTfan

16 minutes ago, MTfan said:

I had checked this page before posting and double checked now by searching thru it for "Canadian" ":CA" ":TO" and dont find anything. There is no reference to Canadian symbols in this page.

We don't list specific exchanges - there are too many of them. We specify the format.  The TO is the Exchange. XRE is the symbol. so the MT symbol format is SYMBOL:EXCHANGE, or XRE:TO