Medved Trader Forums

As QuoteTracker support windws down ...

mmoy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed MT on my Windows 7 Virtual Machine and find that Windows 7 gives you more control over the Title Bar. I set the font down to 6 pixels and the Title Bar to 12 (smallest at that font size) and the result is that things are small. Maybe too small. I will probably go to 7 pixels for the font and 15 for the title bar and that should fit on my screen. I'm running this on a monitor with higher resolution (HD) so that helps.

One other pleasant thing I discovered is that MT apparently communicates with Ameritrade's servers using different ports or protocols as the QT stuff was blocked on one the networks that I use (maybe everything is blocked?). MT works fine in this environment. Is it running through http or https now? So I have 25% of my things on MT on the VM and will have to decide where I want the VM, on my desktop or my laptop.

So I have more options now. The advantage of running it on the W7 VM is that I can move the VM from machine to machine. Windows 10 has fewer options for setting things. I think that they went with the bigger title bar for the tablet mode where you need to be able to grab the title bar with your finger to move it around. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel to get my QT equivalent and I think that it will only take an hour of effort from here.

I'm still waiting for the index display from QT but I'll use ToS or ATP for that until it's implemented.

Maybe a change on our firewall then. I don't plan to use that network regularly but it's useful for setup though it's a lot easier to set things up from home and I'm hoping I can move the configuration files to my desktop from my laptop.

I found a small problem with using small chart windows.

The part that allows you to save the chart as a template for other charts has to be open to do the save. However, it gets saved as the template and then I have to remove it. It would be nice if we had the old QT option where saving or loading a template is done with the right-click menu as opposed to having to find options here and there on the various pieces on the ribbon area.

there is a pretty easy way to get around that issue. right click on the SAVE Template button and select "Add to Quick Access Toolbar". Now hide the ribbon and save the template via the button on the QAT. QAT is not part of the template so if you now remove the button (same way) then use the template, the save button will not be in the QAT

That worked though I wound up adding both options to the little double-arrow. It still would be nice to be able to save multiple chart templates though I guess I'll muck around to see if I can find a way to do that.

I have about 40% of my charts up on the screen right now and I'll see how they look during the trading day. I have QT running in another Virtual Desktop for actual monitoring of everything. I lost one column as the minimum width is larger than it is with QT so I will either have to rearrange my charts, drop some things that I watch or bring in a monitor with higher resolution (I have several spare monitors at home). So far, so good, and I should be converted by the deadline.

I'm adding a link to this forum thread on my homepage for reference. I normally make a notebook for things like this but a link might be more convenient.

I'm around 65% done working in a Virtual Machine on my laptop. The VM requires 5 GB of RAM so I had to upgrade my desktop. I'll bring in a high-def monitor to run it in. I should have all of my charts running by tomorrow except maybe for the indexes which might still be a work-in-progress. I should have left the trading desktop at Windows 7 instead of upgrading to 10. It's a lot easier to modify the title bar and it's objects on W7.

My laptop has an SSD and 16 GB of RAM and MT (and just about everything else) runs fine on it. The target desktop has a HDD on it and I'm a bit undecided on whether or not I want to upgrade it or if it would make sense. I do have a spare SSD at home that I could try out but I need to check the motherboard specs on the system. There were a number of motherboards of this vintage (2008) that supported SATA II but they didn't recognize SATA III as it wasn't generally out yet. Unfortunately, some of these motherboards, downgrade to SATA I in this case so going from a HDD to a SSD can result in worse performance for high-bandwidth disk operations. I have a laptop that I upgraded and ran into this problem. It might be possible to fix it by adding a PCI SATA III card but I'd have to figure out if it were bootable.

The desktop is on all the time so it would be likely that everything would remain in RAM and that performance for MT would be fine.

My backup plan is to buy new hardware - new stuff is ridiculously cheap and fast compared to a decade ago.

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:07 PM, Jerry Medved said:

:) timely.  

Too bad that they only mention THEIR most Advanced platform, not THE most advanced platform that can be used with the TDA accounts - Medved Trader

I did that when they tried to sell me on using TorS.

On 9/8/2016 at 6:13 PM, Jerry Medved said:

y, I probably would have done that if I didnt have to install tons of stuff again. Didn't want to spend weeks setting everything up again

Our development environment is VM-based so that we can just move engineers around from machine to machine as needed.

I created a Windows VM off a free Windows 7 license a few years ago and I can just copy the VM from machine to machine as I upgrade or change hardware platforms. I don't have to reinstall all of the software and move all of my projects from one machine to the next. I can also just put it on a Linux, Windows or Mac system. I don't have to do this for Mac systems as they don't have DRM on Apple hardware. BTW, I'd love a Mac OS X port of MT but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

QT servers appear to have gone down this morning (they were working yesterday).

I started up MT and it wasn't working but there was an update so I installed the update and it appears to work but I got an exception and a stackdump which is on my other system on a different network. I restarted it and it seems to be running though.

IMG_2442.JPG

I have my portfolio stuff entered now so I'm not flying blind (I just had about half my charts showing but was using QT to see my positions).

One suggestion would be the ability to enter Quantity and Paid right on the portfolio window. Right now I have to bring up the Dashboard, Open Edit Portfolios, and then enter the information.

One of my trading friends is going with ToS for now. He misses QT (of course) but he just needs a few charts displayed and he thinks that he can work with ToS. I have another trading friend and I'll have to ask him what he's using.

right now we cannot have those edited inline, though sometime in the future, will look.  However, you do not need to go to the dashboard to get to the portfolio editor. We give you multiple ways to get to it right on the portfolio window.

1) There is (by default) an "Edit Portfolios" button in the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar - shows on left side of the portfolio caption).  Looks like a grid with a pencil pointing to it. 

2) If you have the ribbon toolbar open, note that the stuff there is in groups. The first group is "Portfolio" where you have the Portfolio dropdown list as well as the quote source dropdown list.  look on the bottom right of the group.  Noe that there is a little box with an arrow there. Clicking on it will also bring up the portfolio editor

In both cases, the portfolio editor will come up with the current portfolio already selected.  

As for the dashboard, if you do need to get to it, in most cases you can just use the Dropdown Dashboard. hit the F12 key on almost any MT window or the 4 color button on top right of the window. If you wish to bring up the main dashboard window (it lets you see more stuff, like sources, Open windows, etc) you can hit SHIFT+F12 on any window.

I have a problem this morning where the change column seems to be based on yesterday's Prv Cls. I've run into this problem with QT from time to time and sometimes changing the portfolio or quote source or restarting clears it up. This doesn't clear it up in MT though. I also ran into a hang on MT this morning. Quotes were updating but the program was unresponsive to button and menu clicks. Things were fine after a restart.