Medved Trader Forums

Not Fond of Ribbon Control

Saty

Question

Most of the tasks need more than two or three steps with Ribbon Control.  In a context menu (right click), it is very easy to do the task.

For example, to delete a line on a Graph, have to go to the left upper corner to open the Ribbon Control, select Draw, then delete.

In a context menu, just right click on the line and delete it or do whatever other functions with a  Right click menu.

I wonder anybody else feels the annoyance with the Ribbon Control.

18 answers to this question

Well, there are a few things you are missing

1) we do have keyboard shortcuts. For example, to delete the line, if it is highlighted, just hit the DEL key

2) the benefit of the ribbons is that you can customize them. If you have a button that you frequently use, you can right click on it and select the menu to "Add To Quick Access Toolbar". The button (or whatever item) will now show up in the caption, where it can be immediately accessed.

Also, if you are doing something that requires a lot of access to the ribbon, you can just double click on the tab and the ribbon will stay up so you don't have to click on the tab first then the item.

Saty,

I think it is fair to say that coming from QT, there has been some adjustments for me and I agree with you that some things feel/felt awkward, but I have now come to the realization that it really  boils down to what we were used to.  Now,  I truly like the Ribbons, seeling as we also have keyboard shortcuts but expecially the quick access toolbar which I think is priceless.

Maybe play around with it some more?.  eg: If you put the QAt below the Ribbon, you have a lot of room to populate it with so many options.

Deomega,

Regarding Keyboard short cuts, we have to take our hands off the mouse and going to the keyboard is kind of flunky compared to right clicking and deleting with a finger.

I had experimented with moving the Toolbar below the Ribbon.  In my case that is not feasible, considering the space it takes away from the graph.  I use about 10 to 15 graphs at a time that is adjusted to roughly 8'X4' size, which is arranged like tiles.  So, I need to avoid that second Toolbar.

However, that Quick Access Toolbar is very good given there is no other option.

I tried to add that Delete button to the Toolbar, but the "Add to Quick Access Toolbar" is grayed out for that button.  Are you able to do that?

Most annoying for me is deleting a line that is accidentally leaving on the graph when I move the cursor very fast.  That is when the right click menu is very useful to delete it.  Right now, the Right click menu has "Spike Removal" , "Add/Edit Indicators", among others.  That is very handy, instead of going to the main control.

I wonder Jerry/Mike can add a Delete option in the Context Menu without much trouble for them.

• Like 1

Ha, I have to cross my left hand across to reach the Delete key on the right side of the Keyboard.   You are a programmer, your hands fly left and right all the time on the Key board, so it is not a big deal for you.  We are spoiled kids. :)

Don't you think that right clicking and deleting with a finger is more user friendly?

I agree after using QT for years anything else is going to have to be awesome. The Ribbon Control for me was unnerving because Sync Charts would bug the Maximize Minimize, which would kill the Ribbon button, on my systems anyway. Today's daily *.*953.846 fixed it, Kudos for that. I think the really good news is we have a chance here with the same crew to build a new and epic MT. So for me personally I am ready to embrace what the crew throws out and give it a chance to develop.

While I do miss the right click drop down for me its not a deal breaker. I think knowing QT, Jerry and any of the other helper here (you peps) know lean and mean and that's what we expect. I am excited about it.

• Like 1

Note - we do like the right click in general. However, we found with QT that it was getting really crowded, and having the entire interface via the right click was getting in the way of some functionality. We may add more options to the right click in the future, once the feature set is built out a bit. It's easier to add stuff than to take away :)

• Like 1

nice update.

Yeah, I have to agree that when i right-click in qt, I have to think for a moment what the heck I am looking for even after all these years because as you have pointed out, it is so populated.  So, I do appreciate the idea of condensing it.  I am sure I am not the only one that has to pause when looking through Qt right-click menu.

On the other hand, I certainly appreciate the the openness to adding the things users feel are must-haves later on.  Thanks for the consideration.

Well, there are a few things you are missing

1) we do have keyboard shortcuts. For example, to delete the line, if it is highlighted, just hit the DEL key

2) the benefit of the ribbons is that you can customize them. If you have a button that you frequently use, you can right click on it and select the menu to "Add To Quick Access Toolbar". The button (or whatever item) will now show up in the caption, where it can be immediately accessed.

Also, if you are doing something that requires a lot of access to the ribbon, you can just double click on the tab and the ribbon will stay up so you don't have to click on the tab first then the item.

Love the keyboard shortcuts.  Not sure what the ribbons is, but it sounds pretty good.

Deomega,

Creating a product adaptable to the natural human behavior is the best secret in a successful business.  It is always better to design things according to our physical articulation and natural proclivity.  Trying to change that course is what make people uncomfortable and turn away.

The reason I liked QT over other hundreds of programs was its simplicity and freedom to move the windows as we wish, as many as we want anywhere on the desktop.  I accidently came to know that Medved is making this new program.  Few weeks ago,  I had a fight with Ameritrade for destroying that QT. Ameritrade sent me an email saying that they no longer support QT when I had problems with the Indices feed.  

Then I was in search of another program to use and then I stumbled upon one website where a small forum talking about QT and then I saw Medved’s replies to them that he is making a new program called MT.  I was so thrilled and now here I am with him.

I want to see this software to be a very user friendly as much as possible; I have been making all kinds of comments to Medved Brothers.  I know there are some technical and logical problems to implement certain features but if it is possible, then I want them to adjust it.   

I don’t know if there is any legal problem to implement same features as QT since it is owned by Ameritrade.

One thing I noticed in computer programming is that the programmers’ brains work in terms of logical algorithm to write codes to execute a function.  They rarely visualize the human response at the receiving end during that process.  They need feed back from guinea pigs.

How many website on internet you have seen with horrible color contrasts or fonts and can’t read anything at all or straining your eyes. If I come across some interesting articles in  some website with horrible color contrast, I copy the text into a word processor to read it to save my eyes.  When people are not comfortable, they leave the website.  

Relevant to our subject here is that I didn’t want to use that ThinkorSwim program that Ameritrade is touting because of its uncomfortable designs.  I put it this way, using that program is like walking in a sac and can’t move my legs freely.

• Like 3

Funny, I never thought of the right click menu as over populated.  Probably because I regularly use only about 4 of the choices and I know exactly where they are.  I wonder if it's possible to make the right click menu user configurable, like the toolbar(s), adding and removing the choices, and moving them around.

Saty, I agree with you completely about the simplicity and user friendlyness of QT.  It's become a very comfortable design, the charts are pleasing to the eye (and my eye is hard to please). and there's a thoroughness about it that's rare.     The ugliness of a program like Think or Swim is sometimes astonishing to me, as are those websites with black backgrounds, dark colors,  and tiny white illegible text.  Another analogy for using TOS is that it's like trying to walk the length of a football field filled with 4 feet of thick mud.  You know you can do it, but the effort involved is so great and the payoff so small that you usually stop at the twenty yard line.  I've been trying for years to use TOS and my opinion of it is exactly the same as the first day I tried it, "what a POS".  I use it occasionally because it's the only place I can chart New Lows.

I just discovered Ribbon Control this week, and was thrilled to find it.  One of my complaints was the wasted space above the charts and other windows.  Regaining that space makes the charts a lot easier to watch. 

I've also wondered if there were legal constaints to duplicating the features and design of QT. That would have been a good starting point for me, though I admit that to a programmer it would have been dullsville to just clone something from the past. But  I hope the thoroughness and the functional genius gets cloned.

John