Medved Trader Forums

Trade Ideas wrong symbol opens when linked to MT

3acor

Hey, 

I have Trade Ideas link to Raw Data and when I click a symbol on Trade Ideas, the symbol below it opens. So let us say Trade Ideas list is the following
AMZN
FB
NFLX
GOOG

If I click on AMZN in Trade Ideas, FB opens in MT.
If I click on NFLX in Trade Ideas,  GOOG opens in MT.

Sometimes Trade Ideas selects a random stock from the list.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Edited by 3acor

When setting up a linked window in Trade Ideas, you can select from a list of "methods" to perform the linking. Two methods that tend to work well are the "auto type to a screen coordinate that is an input box" and "auto type to a screen coordinate on a window" (those are my names, but describe the action). The first one works the best if you have MT's raw data window expanded to show the input box. If not, the second works well to land on a chart.

What you are experiencing is an issue in the coordinate translation of what you've clicked and where that text should end up on the linked end (MT). I too have had this issue and can work around it hackishly by clicking at the very edge of a chart so that Trade Ideas drops the auto typing on MT. Historically, I've had the best luck using the "thinkorswim" Trade Ideas type to get the linking to work decently with MT.

With all of that said, what we should do is submit to Trade Ideas an integration that works with auto-typing to MT and properly handles coordinates with multiple screens/resolutions. I've had on my list for awhile to run a trace and see what hidden key strokes are taking place in existing integrations in order to write a description of what we would need. But of course a "small mountain" of other priorities sit in the way :)

9 hours ago, Donald Q. said:

When setting up a linked window in Trade Ideas, you can select from a list of "methods" to perform the linking. Two methods that tend to work well are the "auto type to a screen coordinate that is an input box" and "auto type to a screen coordinate on a window" (those are my names, but describe the action). The first one works the best if you have MT's raw data window expanded to show the input box. If not, the second works well to land on a chart.

What you are experiencing is an issue in the coordinate translation of what you've clicked and where that text should end up on the linked end (MT). I too have had this issue and can work around it hackishly by clicking at the very edge of a chart so that Trade Ideas drops the auto typing on MT. Historically, I've had the best luck using the "thinkorswim" Trade Ideas type to get the linking to work decently with MT.

With all of that said, what we should do is submit to Trade Ideas an integration that works with auto-typing to MT and properly handles coordinates with multiple screens/resolutions. I've had on my list for awhile to run a trace and see what hidden key strokes are taking place in existing integrations in order to write a description of what we would need. But of course a "small mountain" of other priorities sit in the way :)

Thanks for sharing :)
Linking to a chart is not working for me no matter where I click on MT chart even on the edge.

For the Raw Data, when you say input box you mean a value such as "bid value, ask value, volume"? Tried that as well and same issue

Edited by 3acor