Medved Trader Forums

2 questions

mlsignups

Hi, two questions:

I use volume a lot in indicator formulas, etc.    Is there any way using either the easy or advanced paint bar to get average volume for a period of time?  I could be just missing it if it's there.    If not, would it be possible when you define a moving average in paintbar and get the dropdown of high,low,close, etc. to add a volume option to easily do that? 

I found a post from December that showed a formula way to do it but wasn't sure if there was a simpler way.

Also, in looking through the paintbar options that are in the drop down on the rule editor, there are a number of items marked symboldata. xxx     Are these usable and defined anywhere (as to what they are?)

Thanks

Edited by mlsignups

* For Volume - what you could do is use the Volume indicator in the paintbar, set a specific averaging period in its parameters, and use its EMA line.

Or you could just calculate your own average for the BarVolume - but then you would have to go Advanced, use the State machinery, and the StateFIFOQueue (for SMA).

See an example of how to do that here: https://www.medvedtrader.com/trader/WebHelp/state_keeping.htm the last example is for how to do SMAs.

* The SymbolData.xxx variables are for the current values for the symbol. So even if you're calculating the paintbar for some candle way back in the chart, the SymbolData.Volume for example will be the current cumulative day volume that is stored for this symbol.