Medved Trader Forums

Scanner Question

zemuss

I have been writing my own scanner and have a few questions.

Main bias is based on 5 /8/ 13 ema on 5 or 15 min time frame where the scanner is running. However, what I want is to look at the 1 hour chart to find the direction based on two emas stacked in a direction. 

I dont know if the logic of the scanner can perform the validations because the scanner is running on the 15m TF but I need it to validate the 1 hour. 

Example: 

Scanner Runs on 15 tf 

Logic:

IF Timeframe 60 min 50 EMA >  62 EMA then Bullish Tend

{

Do other logic here

}

you cannot reference different frequencies within 1 scan but what you are seemingly doing should work: 62 EMA on 60 min chart is about the same as 13 EMA on a 15 min chart, as long as you have the scan set to 15 min. If you have it set to 5 min, then you would have to multiply accordingly 

zemuss, to add to Jerry's answer: the paintbar operates on the candles that are calculated either in the chart or inside the scan for that particular candle frequency. That dataset would have to be calculated twice or more and in case of paintbars would make no sense - because when you're operating on a 3 min candle and you check a 20 min candle data, how do you match the candles?

Here is an exercise that can possibly be done to combine 5m and 15m candles in one scan though it is a bit complicated.

1. Make two portfolios. Identical. Same source. Run them.

2. Run a scan on one portfolio with 15m candle that calculates some value and then uses the SetInterVar function with whatever that value is. Or several values.

3. Run a different scan on the second portfolio on 5m candles, and use GetInterVar function to get the values from the 15m candle run to use.