Medved Trader Forums

Can I access a Fidelity account and get real time data from them?

ex_hacker202

Being moved from TDA to Schwab in 2 weeks and Schwab does not let you enroll in DRIPs - that's a deal breaker for me. I just tried to open a Fido account but it requires a smart phone to verify yourself - I don't have one, mine is just a dumb phone, so I opened MT to see if it offered E*Trade as a data source - I don't see it on the list - if I can't get data from E*trade I can't transfer my TDA accounts there. Does E*Trade not have an API MT can access?

TD Ameritrade - Chances are that if you use your account with MT, the transition date will change from November to March. You can call them to ask for that explicitly. That way you can use it at least for data.

You can use Fidelity for data, but their streaming data is 1 second update, so TDA or others are better.

E*Trade works for trading only. no data.

Thanks Jerry - guess I'll just keep my small ROTH with Schwab so I have access to real time data - oh crap, I don't see Schwab on the list of data providers either. Postponing the inevitable doesn't really solve much in the long run - even if I can get an extension for the transition from TDA I'll just run into the same problem next March.

23 hours ago, Jerry Medved said:

TD Ameritrade - Chances are that if you use your account with MT, the transition date will change from November to March. You can call them to ask for that explicitly.

I just spent 45 mins on hold with TDA - and they made no promises about extending my accounts to March 2024, said they'll let me know in a few days whether they'll allow it - the rep didn't sound too confident about this, but I'll let you know if they extended me or not in a couple days.