Medved Trader Forums

UPDATE: TD Ameritrade Schwab account migration

Jerry Medved

We still do not have the needed Schwab API and will not be getting it for at least a few weeks.  Many TD Ameritrade accounts will be migrated to Schwab this weekend.  However, most accounts that use the API and thus Medved Trader, are being migrated later this year or in 2024.  Some however have to be upgraded this weekend from what we've heard.

If your account does migrate this weekend, your access to the account via Medved Trader will no longer work after the migration. We will try to release a Schwab setup as soon as possible after we receive the needed API from Schwab. Until then, we suggest using another quote source in MT.  There are a few choices available. If you need help with that, please email MT support.

UPDATE (Dec 14, 2023) - the new migration date for all remaining TD Ameritrade accounts has been moved from March, to May 10, 2024!!!!  (VERY GOOD NEWS)

UPDATE for those joining late - Here is one workaround for the time being:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning Jerry, what do you think the odds are that you will get the API from them and no data feed interruptions by 11/5?  Asking as I know you are contact with them and wondering if I need to find an alternate data feed just in case.

Thanks for all you do, I recommend MT to anyone who asks. 

20 hours ago, Jerry Medved said:

based on latest update, my guess is probably not. HOWEVER. Accounts that use MT should be getting switched to a March 2024 transition date, so if you are scheduled for November 3, your date should be getting changed in the coming weeks, thus avoiding the issue.

Jerry, how does Schwab know that we use MT, or are you talking about ALL API customers getting moved out to March, 2024?

2 hours ago, Jerry Medved said:

every API command indicates what app its coming from. but in general they will probably be shifting all API clients, not just MT ones.

Hmm, I've always wondered why the bid and ask move almost the instant I open my trade window. It looks like they see me setting up my trade before I execute it.

• Haha 1

ydfah,

I live in NYC near the exchange servers. If I don't wear an aluminum foil hat when I trade the prices jump up just thinking about buying something. At least you have a chance of getting filled if you can load up the trade ticket quickly. Harnessing the power of MT Hotkeys might be a solution for you. :)

• Sad 1

• Jerry Medved changed the title to UPDATE: TD Ameritrade Schwab account migration

TD AMERITRADE => SCHWAB Update: due to unforeseen delays, the new Schwab API is not likely to be available before November. For most clients that are using TD Ameritrade with Medved Trader right now, the migration to Schwab will most likely be moved from November to March of 2024 in the coming weeks in order to not impact you until their API is available for us to integrate.

We heard that at least some will be switched tonight.

If you want to confirm, you can call TD Ameritrade and request to be switched to March explicitly because you use software that uses the API.

Jerry,
I  contacted TDAmeritrade, and they said that this matter was between Schwab and 3rd party API developers.
I contacted Schwab, and they said that the 3rd parties can contact the Schwab developer portal at traderapi@schwab.com.
I assume that this is what you have been doing at this point. The Schwab rep had no information beyond that, with regard to dates or availability or company contacts. They had no info about any transition dates past November 2023. I guess that we wait until we hear something else... Prepare for chaos Nov 6th.

Well, still waiting for MT to include Schwab. Some of my AMTD accounts that do use MT are being migrated now. If this keeps happening, MT will become largely useless for my trading / investing as Vanguard, WeBull (on Win 7) and MooMoo are not supported either.  And Yes, I did ask for a transition date change, but was told it was set.  I said I'd be closing (ACATing) that acoount and will close others if there is no flexibility.  At least the largest accounts are not set to move until next year.

Jerry, perhaps if you told them they may be losing customers, they might get the  API to you with a bit more dispatch.  It's been months now and ........ 0.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick