Medved Trader Forums

Newbie has a couple of questions

Hello.

I am new to Medved TRader. I am interested in the Scanner. I would like to use it for my intraday trading. Scanner for Reverals.

I hope its fine if I start asking in here a couple of times...

- Are there good sources to learn the scanner function?

- What is the difference between the "standard rules" and the advanced mode?

- How can I scan for increased volume above the average of the last xx volumebars?

- Do I always have to define a portfolio? So there is no function (Scan in all US Stocks... like this?)

- If I always have to choose a portfolio, I will filter the stocks in Tradingview. And copy them into MedvedTrader. How Can I delete all stock in the portfolie at once (i only found the single delete mode (STRG+X)

- I use TWS. They allow me only  100 stocks to scan. Adding 100 further stocks costs 30$. What is the cheapest data source to increase up to - lets say - 500 stocks..?

- If I scan for RSI. Can I print into a column the current RSI value?

- How can I combine different Timeframes. I.E I am looking for 3 red candles on the 5 min chart and 3 red candles on the 1 min chart?

Thanks very much in advance.

Marco.

Edited by ocram1980

3 hours ago, ocram1980 said:

I finished a couple of rules to build a reversal scanner. On scaner for a Long Reversal, one for a short reversal. How to add two Scans on one portfolio?

Thanks!

I tried this code. Seems to work.

public void MainCalculation()
{
    // Reversal Bottom
    if (BarVolume > BarVolume[1])
    {
        if (BarVolume[1] > BarVolume[2])
        if (BarVolume[2] > BarVolume[3])
        if (Close < Open) 
        if (Close[1] < Open[1])
        if (Close[2] < Open[2])
        if (Close[2] > Close[1])
        if (Close[1] > Close)
        if (RSI_Line < 40)
    {
        SetColor(SysColor.MainIndicator1);   TriggerAlert("Reversal Bottom", @"Reversal Bottom");   SetScanResult(@"Reversal Bottom");
    }
    }  
    // Reversal Top
    if (BarVolume < BarVolume[1])
    {
        if (BarVolume[1] < BarVolume[2])
        if (BarVolume[2] < BarVolume[3])
        if (Close > Open) 
        if (Close[1] > Open[1])
        if (Close[2] > Open[2])
        if (Close[2] < Close[1])
        if (Close[1] < Close)
        if (RSI_Line > 60)
    {
        SetColor(SysColor.MainIndicator2);   TriggerAlert("Reversal Top", @"Reversal Top");   SetScanResult(@"Reversal Top");
    }
    }   

}

How can I add an Alert? With sound!

Thanks.

Edited by ocram1980

On 10/23/2023 at 4:53 AM, ocram1980 said:

Are there good sources to learn the scanner function?

we have the technical functionality fully documented in MT - hit F1 while on the Paintbar/Scan screen and go from there. There are a bunch of threads there on the topic, or of course start your own (hopefully we will be able to respond faster than this time - sorry)_

What is the difference between the "standard rules" and the advanced mode?

Standard is just a Point and click interface for defining simple criteria.  The standard mode rules do get converted to the C# stuff internally. When you switch to Advanced, MT just converts it for you to C# and then you can expand it - far more flexibility in Advanced mode.

How can I scan for increased volume above the average of the last xx volumebars?

Easiest would be to reference the Moving Average within the volume indicator.

Do I always have to define a portfolio? So there is no function (Scan in all US Stocks... like this?)

The scanning stuff is client side - so it will only work if MT has the quotes. So yes, you do have to run the scan on a portfolio.  Cannot do all US stocks. Best thing to do is to narrow down the "world" to something more manageable based on some basic criteria like price and volume and then make a portfolio out of that.  

How Can I delete all stock in the portfolie at once (i only found the single delete mode (STRG+X)

you can select all in the portfolio (CTRL+A) and then delete (SHIFT+DEL)

I use TWS. They allow me only  100 stocks to scan. Adding 100 further stocks costs 30$. What is the cheapest data source to increase up to - lets say - 500 stocks..?

because of their restrictions, IB is really not the best option for scanning.  TD Ameritrade lets you do 1500 symbols.  dxFeed is basically unlimited. 

If I scan for RSI. Can I print into a column the current RSI value?

MT lets you do multiple results per scan.  I would put the RSI value in one of the results. Then you would have a separate result column for each result in the portfolio. MT also lets you name the result columns, so you can name that one RSI :)

How can I combine different Timeframes. I.E I am looking for 3 red candles on the 5 min chart and 3 red candles on the 1 min chart?

You cannot.  For simple stuff like 1 and 5 min, you can usually assume that 3 candles on 5 min is same as 15 on 1 min and use that for indicators. If you need to reference "3 red candles" well, you could build them yourself in your scan code, though probably a bit of PIA

On 10/23/2023 at 5:49 AM, ocram1980 said:

I finished a couple of rules to build a reversal scanner. On scaner for a Long Reversal, one for a short reversal. How to add two Scans on one portfolio?

Thanks!

assuming in advanced mode, you can just copy the rules from one into another and then combine them there.