Medved Trader Forums

VWAP discrepancy

Today I noticed a significant discrepancy with VWAP compared to other platforms. If I set VWAP to be only for regular hours, it's even farther off from the others.

In this screenshot, TradingView is upper-left, MT is upper-right, Fidelity is lower-left, and Schwab is lower-right. All the others have VWAP at 4.48/4.49, but MT has it at 4.32. I tried clearing all data and refilling with tick data, but that didn't help.

image.thumb.jpeg.4c00b9090fb6a58022d3cb038e367b43.jpeg

I checked here- I have tick data for the symbol. 4.47 with Extended hours, 4.66 if RTH only.  NOTE that for extended hours to actually be included, the chart has to be set to show them, not just the indicator.  Also VWAP can be very sensitive to the data that is being used so try clearing the data and backfill.  If you use an aggregated datafeed, the difference can be significant.

I understand. That's why I looked to compare across multiple platforms in my first chart. It's important that I base my vwap decisions based upon a vwap that is close to what others are seeing on their platform. Checking the volume, I see one 30-second bar has 145k volume in TV, and the same bar in MT using dxFeed is 96k. If I switch to TradeStation for the fill data, I get 118k. Are others seeing that much volume discrepancy?

Am I getting bad data from dxFeed? I just cleared all the data from LASE and filled it with tick data and the bar that was showing 96k, now shows 27k. The candles are also not looking like they were before clearing the data.

image.thumb.png.38a2d9f43c4863ae855e79800dc5f19f.png

What I've noticed today is that the backfill volume is way off. Here's IFBD just now.

image.thumb.png.17d3980025f4151239eeecd445ef69c2.png

These are 5-minute charts.

On the left is TV. Candle volume from open is 215k, 11k, 269k, 108k, 669k, 510k, 1.2M, 2.458M, 1.767M, 1.296M, 1.21M

On the right is MT. Candle volume from open is 46k, 2k, 39k, 11k, 76k, 57k, 96k, 112k, 211k, 1.594M, 1.509M, 1.41M. I first put it on the chart just before the volume candle at 1.594M.

The volume at the top of MT is correct. TV currently has 13.9M, and MT has image.png.e6871e6e15a5a5cefa782d26746abf73.png

Here you can see the candle discrepancy. I set the chart to 480min.

image.thumb.png.8fc73f43ebc7418a5eb6a9b615d81d2c.png

If I clear and backfill with tick data, the candle volume drops, but the volume at the top stays correct.
image.thumb.png.e29f809373f608df31cb6d94cf00b000.png

1) volume at the top, is from the current Level I quote and is not in any way tied to the chart data. if you clear the chart data entirely, total volume will still be there.

2) from what I see the OHLC backfill seems to have correct volume.  With tick data, if you have it set to show Odd Lots, it is showing same volume as with OHLC backfill.  If you turn off odd lots, it is lower - obviously. 

3) what is the significance of 480 min candle? with extended hours on, it may cause the candle to start at different time than on other platforms resulting in different indicator and volume values.

It is very difficult to make any comparisons when you post snippets with parts of charts cut off.

It seems that dxFeed OHLC data includes odd lot ticks.  With others, some do, some do not.  We do not have control over that in most cases

Posted (edited)

I chose 480 min to get close to all the volume for the day in one candle to compare to the volume at the top. I notice that candles are center-aligned on the time they represent rather than left-aligned. Is that by design? Other platforms are typically left-aligned.

Here's a video of everything I just tried on ADIL to get the backfill to work. The video starts when I've been watching ADIL for a while and there are several volume candles above 100k, then I clear the data and try various options to try and get it back to how it was at the start of the video. I even switched it to TradeStation to see if that would help. All of the candles are below 100k volume after the initial clearing.

Edited by Adventures In .NET