Medved Trader Forums

Alerts Questions

zenlando

First, let me say how much I appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into getting the Alerts up and running... well worth the wait, as Trendline Alerts I use all the time in QT. These are some preliminary questions now that I've used the feature in MT for a bit, with the first one being far more important to me than the others:

1) I notice in MT that when I activate a Trendline Alert it only shows on the specific intraday chart that I am on, while in QT once activated it automatically also shows on all other intraday charts that are open for the same symbol (different time frames, etc.). Am I missing something here, or has the feature not been implemented in MT? Needless to say, in my mind this is a very helpful and time saving feature to have.

2) This may be a long shot, and is probably actually a feature request, but I'm curious if it's possible to implement Trendline Alerts on historical charts also at some point? Since they were never part of QT, I don't even know if they're doable.

3) Minor point, but would it be possible to have the ability to relocate the alerts popup if one chooses? Default appears to be lower right corner of screen, but always nice to have the flexibility if one wanted it to appear somewhere else.

Thanks, Dave

1) trendline alert showing on multiple charts - QT extended hours setting applied to the symbol, not the specific chart. In MT, it is specific to the chart. That setting impacts the trendline alerts, which is why right now it is tied to one chart. Will see.

2) There are significant issues with doing trendline alerts, or any alerts on Historical charts.  They only get updates if you open the chart or explicitly backfill. Last candle is really intraday data.  And where intraday charts leave a gap if data is not there for a specific minute, HIstorical charts do not, and that drastically impacts the slope of any line drawn on the chart. 

3) Popup notification location - In general, the standard location for these is above the taskbar notification area.  I could in theory put them anywhere, but don't want to just allow random location. I could let the user select the monitor they will be shown on. Would that work?  

Trendline Alert being unique to chart: imagine a trendline drawn on a chart that never shows extended hours, with both anchors set one day back. Then think of the same line, with same anchors, drawn on a chart that shows extended hours for the last day. The position of the continuation of the trendline on current day would be different between the two charts. So you cannot do a trendline alert that is not unique per chart - it would be ambiguous.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'm admittedly a bit confused by your comment Mike, as the way the trendline alerts that show on multiple charts in QT don't seem to care about any extended hours info (?). I'm probably misunderstanding, but for example, if in QT in my 65 minute chart for a particular symbol I just draw a trendline, right click and choose "set trendline alert" and it then shows up as a dashed trendline in my 65 minute, 15 minute, and 5 minute charts simultaneously. And these dashed trendlines with their alerts then stay no matter what the market (price) does over the next few days unless I change or remove them. But maybe you're saying the architecture between the two platforms (QT and MT) is such that MT simply can't do that, and there is really no way to add it?

As far as historical trendline alerts, I had thought it had to be a pretty difficult animal, and the only question I might ask there is would it make any difference if it only used EOD data to trigger?

And yes, it might be nice to have the choice of choosing which monitor to have the alert popup show on... I presume you mean it would still be in the lower right corner of whichever screen you choose.

Thanks, Dave

zenlando, in QT, if you have two inline charts on the same symbol, they cannot have different "extended hours" setting. If you set it to never show extended hours on one, it will set it to the same on the other one.

In MT, you can set it to be different on two different charts for the same symbol. That is why you cannot do one trendline alert that would show up on both charts.

BUT. We are making it so that if you have two intraday charts that are time-based and have the same time frame and extended hours setting (but different frequencies, for example), they will share the trendline alert. Once done, it will be in next release.