Medved Trader Forums

HELP US with wording - Chart indicator areas

Jerry Medved

We have have a problem deciding on what to call the different indicator areas.  In QT, it was simple - an indicator could be on the Main chart or on the "Bottom" chart.  In MT, that is no longer the case, since the indicator can be on Main, on Top or on Bottom. In the case of Top and Bottom charts, it shows in a separate panel or chart. So, what do we call that panel or chart?

Calling them Main Chart vs Top/Bottom Chart is not really good - Top/Bottom is too involved.

Right now we are calling it Main Chart vs "Separate" Chart.  However, not sure if "separate" creates confusion?

Any suggestions?  Opinions?

I'd say keep it simple - for example; call the main chart area the "Main Panel" and, all other panels, whether above or below the "Main Panel" would be referred to as a "Sub Panel".   Sub Panel means subordinate to, and not necessarily, physically below, the Main Panel.  So you would always have the Main Panel along with however many Sub Panels you want, either above or below the Main Panel.

The indicators could then be placed on the Main Panel, or in their own separate Sub Panel either above or below the Main Panel as you desire. On the Chart Indicator Selection Window, you can group the indicators as "Usually on the Main Panel" or "Usually on a Sub Panel".

I'd say keep it simple - for example; call the main chart area the "Main Panel" and, all other panels, whether above or below the "Main Panel" would be referred to as a "Sub Panel".   Sub Panel means subordinate to, and not necessarily, physically below, the Main Panel.  So you would always have the Main Panel along with however many Sub Panels you want, either above or below the Main Panel.

The indicators could then be placed on the Main Panel, or in their own separate Sub Panel either above or below the Main Panel as you desire. On the Chart Indicator Selection Window, you can group the indicators as "Usually on the Main Panel" or "Usually on a Sub Panel".

I thought of that approach, but I think I found myself hung up on the idea that as a rule, sub sends the message of being inferior or below, and using that may also cause similar confusion that they seem to be running away from.  If it can be argued that the immediate interpretation would be clear, then ... sounds good to me!

On the other hand, regarding ehjump suggestion,  it seems also that they are trying to make it clear that indicators can be anywhere on the chart, 'almost' without limitation, and so in that case,  saying indicator panel and main panel may be counter to what I seem to understand is the goal. 

So, unless I am confused, how about 'Main Pane' and 'Secondary Pane',  and so...  'Usually on Main Pane',  'Usually On Secondary Pane'. 

Note: I also think that 'Pane' is the more accurate term.  Now, please understand that  this is intended to be gentle feedback I wanted to share.     

Thoughts???

Just to clarify my suggestion for names:

I think the main chart will still be referred to as "main chart" (Jerry can clarify) while the indicators grouped above the main chart (not on the main chart) will be on the "Indicator Panel - Above". Likewise the indicators grouped below the main chart can be referred to as being on "Indicator Panel - Below".

Note that currently MT chart windows have 3 sections that indicators can be placed -- (1) On the main chart which also contains the price bars, (2) Above the main chart, and (3) Below the main chart.

And, multiple indicators can be placed on each section with the indicators on sections (2) & (3) having the option to be linked.

My understanding is that Jerry is asking for suggestions for names of (2) & (3).

I'd go with "price pane" and "indicator pane" and do away with above/below etc  Then you could add a little up/down icon in the corner of each pane and allow the user to click it and move the panes in relation to each other (similar to Amibroker and many other softwares).  I think your users will understand that some indicators are overlaid on the price pane, and that others appear in their own pane.