Medved Trader Forums

Trace Link Group - Drawing Tools

Lew Payne

Question

For charts that are all part of the same Trace Link Group family (same color assignment), allow the current drawing tool choice to apply to each of them.  Right now, in order to draw on a group of charts that pertain to the same security under consideration, I have to select the tool from each individual chart.  When you have various indicators you're following (6 windows in my case) for your signals, it can become quite tedious.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I'll have to think about this a bit. I don't really see a logical connection between trace link group and linking drawing tools.  However, I do see your point about having to constantly switch tools on each chart and don't want the tail wagging the dog. And if we have the settngs on the charts linked, then maybe they aren't in the right place in the first place?

Let's say I have three different windows, each with the same symbol but different magnifications (time intervals).  One shows the prior 200 ticks, the other shows the past 4 hours, and the other the past 4 days.  In addition, I have the PREM.Z (EMINI Premium) and the S&P 500 Combined Session Premium.  Each window may be running its own set of indicators, with unique settings.  I then SHIFT to trace certain events across ALL windows, and use the draw tool to place ovals on each chart corresponding to that time.  I may or may not also annotate notes (text) for that particular time period.  I currently have to switch each window to "oval" followed by "text" to do this.  Is there a different way I should be doing this, or is this an unusual use of the link group?

Lew, the problem is that it is a "trace group"... Not a "draw group". But I guess we could put another option in settings to have it work that way. Sometimes, though, you can have WAY too many options.

BTW - you are aware that you can make the annotations work across charts - that is, you draw on one chart and it appears on all charts of that symbol (and of that type)?

I now have "Trendlines Unique Per Chart" unchecked.  As a precaution, I exited and restarted MT from scratch.  As I draw text, ovals, lines and boxes on one of my emini charts, it is not automatically annotating in the other emini chart.  Both charts contain the exact same symbol.  As a precaution, I made sure the area I was annotating on one chart was visible (current) on the other chart.  I'm sending you a screen capture of this adventure, for debugging.

Unfortunate, that won't work for me.  The "trace" tool successfully finds the equivalent point in all trace group charts (which is why I have it set up that way), but sadly the annotations can't.  Which is fine... I've now figured out that I can open the "drawing tools" ribbon and RIGHT CLICK on the "text" and "oval" tools to add them to the title bar.  I should have realized this earlier, from other comments I had read, but I was too busy focusing on other things.