Medved Trader Forums

Multiple monitors mess up

gnc

I have 2 4k monitors with the same resolution, but scaled to 100 and 150%.

After unplugging 1 of them, everything showed on one resized and that's ok.

But when I plug back both and try to fixed this by loading saved layout, 

all MT windows come in the center and now I have to waste time putting them back in place.

1.Why saved layout doesn't bring saved layout on saved monitor?

2.How to prevent this the future?

3.When I have all MT windows on one monitor, what the best way to move them all to another monitor?

MT does not save on a particular monitor. It just saves windows at their overall coordinates. If the window is not visible on any currently connected monitor, MT moves it to the nearest monitor. It sounds like when you reconnected the monitor, its orientation relative to the other monitor changed from before so it represented a different coordinate space on your desktop. Like if it was on the right before and now on the left. .  Don't do that :)

right now there is no easy way to move stuff from one monitor to another. We actually are looking at ways to do that.

That's very real real life scenario when you unplug for e.g. hdmi cable or power cord, but lets say it's ok,

but still, I am not clear, when you put back monitors as they were and load saved layout, why it doesn't bring back previous/saved window layout.

I have multiple monitors.  What I do is exit MT before disconnecting and then restart MT when I hook the monitors back up.  As long as I don't mess with the orientation or anything, it loads them back to where I want them.   If that isn't working for you,  I would bet the culprit is in the different scaling. 

I have to agree with Barnaby. Have same thought about scaling. Have many monitors here. Windows gets crazy when you pull a monitor. I only do it when shutdown and then make sure it's connected back the same way. On my monitors turning off power but leaving cable connected does not cause a problem.

Edited by wilburpost2