Medved Trader Forums

Waking from sleep, MT not responding

stock777

Dont want to hijack my own thread, but the problem might be unrelated to sleep.

Have had this happen a number of times before.   Something corrupts on its own ,  and the window response becomes very lagged.  Dropdowns refuse to work , or take crazy long to appear.   No error messages, just those not respondings as pictured above.

This time , as in the past,  the only cure it to reload a SETTINGS  layout , using restore, from a few days before.

So don't know why, but some garbage is getting into the system and breaking it. 

I saved a copy of the broken layout, if you want to look at it .   Sending it by email .

Didn't start a new thread  since it was the same actual problem. 

Yes , I should have sent the log,  would MT know that it's windows were hanging and log that ?  Thought you might be able to duplicate the problem with only the settings.   I assume you tried.

I'll try that reload of the bad settings, though I'm pretty sure I've done the equivalent  of that by rebooting and loading them (still fails) ,   then reloading an older set to get back to normal.

Since that issue , no problems at all. Sleep , wake, everything fine.   This is something that has happened a number of  times over the years, and it seems to be some random thing.    Only thing I do that's out of the ordinary is run  DEXPOT a virtual desktop program, that does some window manipulation that might aggravate something.

Using that for well  over a decade daily, so its pretty robust.

Curiously , sometimes, like now, running cleanly,  I get this in Task Manager for MT.    When that HANGING  problem occurs, I get that blast of many (all) windows showing in TM , as pictured in the first message.(42 ) .    Might be some clue to something.

image.png.727c847d3ca1e46760363568b715b422.png

I just reloaded that entire 'bad'  settings file , and it seems to be running ok.  Now I'm mystified.

The only thing thats not the same is the DATA (quotes) which have been changed since that file was created. 

Dunno,  some bad ticks got in there and were cleaned ??

Any theories as to what could cause those not responding errors  that I get from time to time?

Just sent a log after this issue cropped up again .

Did some testing .   I closed and reloaded MT (same layout) , same problem.

I thought I had narrowed down the problem to this DEXPOT virtual desktop thing I use, but sadly, its not the issue. At least as far as I can tell.

I just tried a number of things .   Reloading.  Rebooting.   All these still had  issues  of various severity.  All displayed lagging in the way MT  responding to mouse and keyboard.   No error messages  or crashing was observed.

The ONLY thing that 100% cures it (as in the past ) is going back a few days to another layout.  So I have to think  something is being saved internally to these bad layouts that is causing  this.   I seem to have eliminated external factors.

PS   Just tried this.   After loading the GOOD working layout from  a few days ago , I restored ONLY the  "CURRENT LAYOUT"   from the bad save,    Problem immediately recurs.   Did the reverse,reloading the   CURRENT LAYOUT from the known good save, and it was fine , once again.  This might help focus your debugging.

Edited by stock777

I also, have experienced no kb/mouse Jerry.

Brand new Lenovo with Win10

Have monitor set for 30 minutes and HD set to 4 hours, and have this open from 4am ish until 8pm

and fwiw. had this PC on all day yesterday, no MT a lot of the time, and nothing froze....as when it did? I was even unable to get this to shut down w/power button. I have to yank the 110v

First off, PC is locked up, you can force the power off on the lenovo laptops by holding the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.

second - what you are describing is a separate issue outside of MT. Nothing MT (or any other regular program for that matter) should be able to lockup a PC.  That would most likely be video or network drivers causing the issue.  Make sure you have the latest.