Medved Trader Forums

CTRL+= not working?

Jason

Having kind of a strange problem. I like to be able to quickly switch between chart periods and need to be able to do so for the 2min period. In the past I could set up the 2min period as a custom period activated by CTRL+= however it seems that that no longer works. Incidentally, is there a special reason why CTRL+2 doesn't set the period the way the other numbers would? Always wondered about that. As is, CTRL+= always opens an option chain window even though that can be separately configured with a different hotkey combo in the settings.

Thanks

Well, myself I don't see why we can't have CTRL+2 as that's the most intuitive solution but the old functionality was just fine in which we could customize any particular period and assign it to CTRL+=. In fact the way it worked before was more flexible in that you could customize that hotkey to ANY period. As is, the current behavior is significantly more cumbersome for me as now I have a separate dialog to click/Enter through. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of setting up a hotkey to a function.

In resolving this I think some kind of change will be necessary. CTRL+= opening up an option chain window is not expected behavior, and as far as I can tell it's not by design. In my install, the hotkey configuration window under Settings has a line that allows me to assign a hotkey to open an option chain window but it's currently set to *None*. So not only is the current behavior unexpected but it essentially means that two separate hotkeys would be used up to achieve the same result should the user prefer to open an option chain window via a different hotkey.

In my case, the difficulty is exacerbated by the fact that I am using third party software to interact with MT by sending hotkeys to the platform when certain conditions are met. The current functionality breaks this and while I can code a solution and test it doing so is a PITA.

• 2 weeks later...

the keyboard shortcuts for frequency are:

image.png

2 min was added later, which is why it does not have an existing shortcut. 

CTRL+= should switch to last used custom frequency. If one was not set, then it will bring up the popup same as CTRL+0. If yours does not, then you may have a conflicting keyboard shortcut or hotkey defined somewhere.

Yes, I am aware. I can understand not changing the current CTRL hotkeys to remain consistent with how everyone else up to this point has been using them. But my main issue is that CTRL+= currently opens up a new option chain window even though that key combination is not set up as a hotkey in the settings for opening an option chain window. This is new behavior which has been introduced in an update at some point and it breaks the old behavior that I was able to use beforehand. In the past I could set up a custom time period to be anything and then use CTRL+= to switch to that. I should probably post this in the bug reports section as I can't imagine how it could be anything but a bug.

Done, I have also done some checking to make sure that I don't have any hotkeys set up anywhere else that could be conflicting with CTRL+=. Incidentally, Donald Q. above posted that CTRL+= on his system is opening the Indicators window for him. Although he may have the hotkey set up on his install to open the indicators menu, from the wording of his post I tend to think that that also is unintended behavior. What's more is that even if I deliberately try to assign CTRL+= to an action in the hotkey configuration window under settings, MT will not allow me to do so. It's as if that key combination is not permitted. That would sort of make sense to me if that key combination were reserved and things worked as they used to where I could simply use CTRL+= to change the period to the custom one I set up manually but like I said, it doesn't work the way it used to.