Medved Trader Forums

Keep windows on top / group them together

steve1512

Hi,
I have a couple of charts and watchlists open in MT and it would be really useful to group them all together so they can be moved to the background/minimized all together with just one click. I am only aware of minimizing and maximizing all open windows via the Dashboard which isn`t convenient and fast.
If all of these individual windows could be grouped to one "master" window which then can be minimized and maximized this would make things easier to work with.

Also, where can I find the option for a chart window to keep it on top of everything?

though we have container windows as a possibility for future features, it is not something imminent. 

You can also Minimize All / Restore All or Bring all to front from the right click menu on the Medved Trader logo icon on the task bar (you may need to make it always visible if Windows hid it)

You can also enable the "Floating Logo" (Dashboard SETTINGS menu) in which case it will always be available regardless of what windows are in front

As for option for chart windows to be on top, go to SETTINGS / APPLICATION / GENERAL. "Child Windows on top (Charts, Level II, etc)" is there.

Another upvote for a container of some sort.     I love the product in general but lack of a container for me makes it a bit clunky at times if i have to move a bunch of windows to use the screen for something else and i just want to move them to a different monitor.   most other products i've used (thinkorswim, amibroker) allow you to separate windows from a container but by default let you start with them all in one master window.

mlsignups, what you're talking about are MDI-compliant interfaces (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface)

We deliberately did NOT go with that. It is too constricting and inflexible. QT was not MDI, neither is MT now.

We will investigate to see if it is possible to do "container windows" as Jerry posted above. There is a complication in that each window in MT runs in its own thread (to make them more responsive and to have them utilize your multiple CPUs to the fullest), which may cause problems when they all belong to one parent window. Will see.

Yes, basically, the other apps don't do the tricks to get the best performance, which we do by running the different windows in their own threads.  Doing is not simple but we felt it was worth the performance improvement.

Yes, I can make an option to create various windows inside a container window, and even have multiple container windows. However, to do that, we would have to create all the windows inside a particular container in the same thread.  If you have a few different containers, that won't make that huge of a difference (I don't think), but if you have all the MT window running in the same container, that would basically negate a lot of the performance improvements we worked so hard to make.  The responsiveness of the individual windows will likely go down. 

Thanks.   FYI Not make or break as I use and like the product anyway; but with a few monitors trying to move things around just gets a bit clunky now.    Another option might be to linke or attach the windows so if you move one they move together...so you can move then at one time like you can close them all at one time.    I think that would have a similar benefit.

• 2 months later...