Medved Trader Forums

IB Bracket Order Support

Doug Hayman

Question

I discussed this in a thread when I first started looking at MT a month ago, but wanted to make a formal request:

Can you guys support IB Bracket Orders?  By definition,

" Bracket orders are designed to help limit your loss and lock in a profit by "bracketing" an order with two opposite-side orders. A BUY order is bracketed by a high-side sell limit order and a low-side sell stop order. A SELL order is bracketed by a high-side buy stop order and a low side buy limit order. "

I believe Jerry called this type of order OTOCA, where the price of execution (at a Stop or Limit Price) is specified, and once executed, the opposite side Limit and Stop price orders (brackets) are automatically executed.   In other words, the initial trade and bracket orders would be an all-in-one.  Currently, MT bracket orders are a separate order that needs to be executed, after a trade completes.

What would be real nice addendum to this is if R:R ratios could be configured in Settings and used as a basis for the subsequent bracket pricing, based either on points or %.

Thanks in advance for considering.

10 answers to this question

I second this, would be my favorite add on!!! Saw it mentioned in 2 other threads titles, so I know there is demand for more ORDER flexibility thru MT. For me I only trade options, not stocks When you add these OTOCA bracket orders for IB, please do for TDA support on MT for options as well!!

IB tightens on margin big time after 1230 on expiring options that day. M/W/Fri on SPY and Fri on all equities. So if there if a big move afternoon I can only buy 10 contracts as apposed to 200+ in AM. So I do nothing and miss any afternoon opportunities. Therefore, I want to ability to also trade an options account on MT thru TDA with these bracket orders. (who does NOT cut expiring options margin in afternoon.)

TDA options order system is not good for quick multiple orders. So I do not currently use them, only if I can do it thru MT. Let me know when completed and I will transfer broker funds.

Request Original options (Buy order) with ( trail stop % & $ order), and (profit target order) all sent out in one bracket order thru TDA on MT                                                                                       Fore me, I need to place order with one-two buttons and have everything done fast. Similar to IB's buttons on chart trader.  If you are able to add customizable preset buttons that would be an amazing cherry on the top! That is my wish and would add plenty of value for traders using MT. Can attach picture if more clarity needed.

Any updates from January 2nd post on ETA for this? 1 month 2?

Much appreciated for all your work Jerry! Thank you!

On 1/2/2019 at 10:02 AM, Jerry Medved said:

Not yet. been busy with a few other items. That is something I will be working on next.

right now I am going through all broker configurations and adding the ability to show all supported multi-leg transactions as well as the internal ability to enter the various conditional orders. only have one more to do. After that, will be working on the UI to actually allow the order entry. Still no ETA.

Hi Jerry,

Any update on this feature? At present, is there a way to add a profit target and stop loss to an interactive broker order, (as a percentage relative to the actual fill price) -- either before or after the trade happens?

Thanks