Medved Trader Forums

Is a Liquid Gainer scan Possible

I have been using TC2000 and ThinkorSwim for the last year and have gotten pretty comfortable putting together scans in both applications. However, Medved Trader has completely baffled me when it comes to scans. I watched a couple of the videos on setting up scans and I feel confused. 

From what I understand, I can only scan from the symbols I put in my watchlist and portfolios and not from the total market, correct? If I am not correct, is there a way set up a scan that can scan the overall stocks to meet my parameters?

What I would like to put together is a scan for Liquid Gainers and losers as well as a scan for active movers similar the scans that come with DAS Pro.

Also does anyone have a video link that explains scanning in Medved Trader a little bit better and is more recent as well as a link to some scans that others have already been compiled?

Thanks.

Here is the parameters I use for my Liquid Gainers

1185540127_LiquidGainers.png.0c5f39828df3369a26b515a68bdc74b9.png

Here are the parameters I use for my Top Losers scans:

1372637549_TopLosers.png.889c1000516a16cf803891ad0f422af8.png

Edited by Patrick Masters
added screen caps of my scans

Any scan that you can express as references to certain symbol-specific parameters in MT is possible.

Simple scans are a set of rules, evaluated one after the other. For example, if the rule is that price percent change change today is between 2 and 100, you can make two rules.

1. if SymbolData.ChangePercent < 2 return       

and

2. if SymbolData.ChangePercent > 100 return

this way if it is between 2 and 100 it will go on to the 3rd rule - see an example rule here:

image.png

3rd rule could be - if Volume < 100000 return

Note: this way you eliminate all unwanted symbols by doing "and Stop" rules. Then the last rule could be the positive one, for example

if Close > 5 Set Color or Set Scan result etc...

I thought our videos on scanning or paintbars were pretty clear... But any suggestions on how to make them better are welcome.

image.png

Of course, if you want to switch the scan to Advanced mode, you would be able to just code the criteria in C#, combining as many of them in one if statement as you want and doing more sophisticated logic.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the scanner works locally on your computer, so it can only operate on whatever symbols you have, not entire market. Plus, datafeeds will not let you get quotes on 9000 symbols. So you first have to narrow things down to more manageable #, like 1500 or so and put them into a portfolio.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to example above.

What is the correct syntax to get price range between 2 - 3.

if (Close > 2) {SetScanResult(true); return;}    >>>>>> this work on its own, lists all above 2 

BUT two combined rules:

if (Close > 2) {SetScanResult(true); return;} 

if (Close < 3) {SetScanResult(true); return;}  >>>>>>>>> this now again lists ALL, below 2 and above 2 - 3 !?!?

That's ok in Advanced mode. How exactly to set it up in Simple rule mode?

And as soon as I put additional and different variable, only one the first one works, no matter what I do with "Stop" and "Else"

Edited by gnc

After 100 combinations it doesn't work. If I set "do nothing", but put "stop" it returns "return", than scanner won't run, reporting plain paintbar

I am obviously missing something basic.

I would appreciate if you can put exactly how the code should look like (once that shows at the bottom In Paintbar window in Code field:

Doesn't work:

this works, removes bellow 2
if (close < 2); //do nothing else [SetScanResult(true); return}

but, this brings back again value bellow 2
if (close <=3){SetScanResult(true)};

Edited by gnc

15 hours ago, gnc said:

this works, removes bellow 2

if (close < 2); //do nothing else [SetScanResult(true); return}

but, this brings back again value bellow 2
if (close <=3){SetScanResult(true)};

First rule should be:

if (close<2) return;  

so it does not fire for any stock that is <2. Then, if it is >=2, it will go to the second rule where, if ALSO <=3, will SetScanResult.