Medved Trader Forums

SCHWAB integration - RELEASED BETA! (NOTE: some limitations)

Jerry Medved

On 4/27/2024 at 10:51 AM, Jerry Medved said:

Schwab is restricting access to a single connection per login (which is problematic with all accounts on one login).

Does that also apply when you use MT to access three individual TDA accounts that turn into Schwab accounts on May 10th? I have MT set up to log into all 3 TDA accounts on startup, plus 1 Fido account and one Ally Invest account  - the (which is problematic with all accounts on one login) is what's confusing me - are you talking about running MT on 3 different devices only, or 3 different accounts on the same device?

I am referring to 3 different devices.  Which accounts or how many you have does not matter. It is the login ID/password combo that matters. If the accounts are for different people, they will have separate logins on Schwab. If the same person is on all 3, then they will have one login only (unlike with TD Ameritrade).

Ally Invest account? MT no longer supports Ally

I'm really bummed this all happened.  Schwab is so much inferior to TDA in what it's offering,

Only 35 days intra day backfill?  That sucks.

They've had 6 MONTHS to get this done and still can't deliver.  Absolutely garbage delivery.

Probably be another 6 months to get bugs worked out,

I knew this would be a huge time suck when it all started happening.

Parkinson's Rule

I'll rest in faith on your expertise Jerry.  I really do use the full 260 days of intra day for patterns though.

So, question on that.  Will my current data archive remain intact, and just continue to update as long as I don't lose the intra day backups?  Or will it be "reset" to 35 days and not be the full 260 I have now.

News, don't care, hardly use that.

I know it's not your fault, Schwab is an old school Grey Flannel broker that somehow managed to swallow up TDA's client base.

Unfortunately.  Even the 5k minimum for spreads is crap.

P.S.  You can unblock me on Twitter / X.  I won't rant (and tag you in that) anymore.

actually, MT max is 120 days, not 260. Yes, the data you already have will remain. Just can't get more than 35 days of history if you are missing it. 

As for X, I don't think I have anyone blocked, other than some bot/spam accounts. Give your ID and I can check

You made me special (and I very much appreciate that) by allowing me 260 days of collected data (you said TDA had that amount available, and they do).

James Bell II is my user on X.  I ranted (and tagged you) on the Schwab account about getting the API out.  Boink!  I was blocked within the hour.

:-)

medved.png

260 - ok I remember now. that was a custom thing and yes, you can still have that... just cant backfill that much if you dont already have it. 

X - you are right. you were blocked, but definitely inadvertent. unblocked now. should have mentioned it earlier :)

Eh, I deserved it, got a bit in their face about the API (frustrated, didn't like the change, still don't.)

Thanks for the follow!

I screen shot off and on, and have shilled for Medved Trader a decent amount of times.  Cause...it's awesome.

So you did me a solid in return.

Thanks Jerry.

12 hours ago, Jerry Medved said:

actually, MT max is 120 days, not 260. Yes, the data you already have will remain. Just can't get more than 35 days of history if you are missing it.

What is this 260/120/35 day intraday backfill about? For intraday charts the max # of days you can see is just 10, even if you pick a start date of 30 days ago - is the data you're talking about for historical charts? Confused about what I may or may not miss with this change - doesn't look like it will affect me at all.

260 is something custom. disregard that.

max # of days in MT is 120. max # of days for backfill with TD Ameritrade is also 120.  With Schwab, it is 35, though MT will gather data up to 120. you just can't get 120 with Schwab if you don't already have it.

as for 10, you probably have it set to max 10 for intraday for performance reasons, so yes, it will not impact you

I know Medved is still tweaking things on the application with the Schwab stuff.. Please look into the Position close updates on the MedVed side as it took about 60 seconds for things to update..

Do we know when Options and Level 2 will be fixed?

position close - 1) send me log and indicate in the comment which position, which order

2) because of the streaming stuff that we are waiting on (same as options and Level II) the streaming account updates are not working yet, which would have taken care of that problem. 

3) streaming stuff (options, L II) - no, our stuff is fully working so as soon as the change is done on Schwab servers, I can update to enable it. I could do it now, but options data would be delayed and equities Level II would be REALLY bad because will be missing lots of stuff. So do not want to do that since that would cause lots of support headaches 

12 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

position close - 1) send me log and indicate in the comment which position, which order

2) because of the streaming stuff that we are waiting on (same as options and Level II) the streaming account updates are not working yet, which would have taken care of that problem. 

3) streaming stuff (options, L II) - no, our stuff is fully working so as soon as the change is done on Schwab servers, I can update to enable it. I could do it now, but options data would be delayed and equities Level II would be REALLY bad because will be missing lots of stuff. So do not want to do that since that would cause lots of support headaches 

Would it be better to see if the updates fix the issue? I dont want to waste time here.. When Schwab gives you the update I can test again then let you know if there was a delay. 

I've just installed the beta to give Schwab a test spin. Severly disappointed, but not because of Medved Trader (I think). I'm running Schwab feed on one machine and TD Ameritrade on another. The RAW feed from TD is far superior (finer grain updates and more often) to that from Schwab. Particularly in pre-market reporting. Lots of activity shows on TD, little to none on Schwab. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles for my type of trading, but I would like at least see as much as possible on the RAW feed. Can anyone suggest a broker (or low cost data feed) with a better live feed than Schwab that can be obtained just by opening an account with them?

this is most likely tied to the other issues with the streaming data that caused us to disable Level II and options. It is all tied together. Once that is resolved, it should update same as TDA (about once per sec)