Medved Trader Forums

UPDATE: TD Ameritrade Schwab account migration

Jerry Medved

5 minutes ago, mikey8247 said:

Well to avoid the loss of MT thru Schwab, I just opened a lil Webull account ...unfunded...plugged in the Webull info to MT and voila, working fine

Why didn't you just open a new TD Ameritrade account? Any new TDA accounts are too new to be transferred yet, so any new account will not get transferred until March 2024. Webull also charges 2.99/mo. for level 2 quotes while TDA does not.

2 hours ago, ydfah said:

Got that same email saying how "others" have already integrated into the Schwab API. It's not a good sign when our "new broker" starts out by lying to us.

they are not lying.  There are multiple APIs with TD Ameritrade. Some have been completed (like what is used for aggregators). Not the one needed for us (market data, trading)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday (2023.12.06) I talked to a Schwab tech who had contacted me about why I gave Schwab a poor review.  We got on the subject of the 3rd party API which he said might not be available before March, 2024, when they expect to have all accounts switched from TDA to Schwab.  I pointed out that I had contacted a rep who said he would have the "API Team" contact me by eMail.  Yesterday's rep said that only one person was assigned to writing those eMails, and he sniggered when I suggested that laying off 3,000 people might be part of the problem.   

Since my IBKR account is margin, I'm limited to 3 per 5 day trades at present.  Some possibilities there, like a new cash account...I've gotten too used to MVT....

16 minutes ago, Enginer01 said:

We got on the subject of the 3rd party API which he said might not be available before March, 2024, when they expect to have all accounts switched from TDA to Schwab.

Wait a second - does that mean Jerry STILL might not have access to Schwab's API before all TDA clients are switched over? I opened a Fido account as a backup data source, but sometimes when I switch the data feed in MT from TDA to Fido the green light turns yellow, then red - MT isn't getting data from Fido consistently, at least in my very limited testing of it so far.

I received this message today from TDA. I looks like they're pushing back the transfer date. Maybe it's due to the API issue.

"We are getting ready to transition your TD Ameritrade accounts to Schwab next year. You may have previously been informed that your account would move to Schwab in early 2024. We want to let you know that we have landed on the account transition timing, which will be the weekend of May 10, 2024. We recognize that this may be later than you expected, but we want to ensure the services you use today are fully available to you at Schwab. It's all part of our effort to make the move as seamless as possible for you."

Edited by ydfah

1 hour ago, ydfah said:

I We recognize that this may be later than you expected, but we want to ensure the services you use today are fully available to you at Schwab. It's all part of our effort to make the move as seamless as possible for you."

Yay! I can almost guarantee you that MT users griping to TDA about losing MT's API and calling to get their transition to Schwab delayed so we can keep using MT is why they pushed back the conversion date. Sometimes complaining the right way actually works! I also mentioned I might have to transfer my accounts to Fido - pretty sure I'm not the only one who said that and meant it.

• Like 1

Today (12.14)

"Good Afternoon George,

Thank you for contacting Schwab Trader API.  We are currently working with Medved Trader and other commercial applications for review, approval, and integration into the Schwab Trader API endpoint. We are in the process of finalizing the documentation so we can provide this to Medved Trader to do the technical integration into the new Schwab offering.   There are no further updates at this time.  

Sincerely,

Schwab Trader API Support"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...